Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rolling loop VistaVision? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Rolling loop VistaVision?
Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once heard that rolling loop was originally made in 35mm (I assume this meant 8 perf 35mm (VistaVision [Smile] )). Does anyone know where to find pictures of this machine? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best selection is a complete section in the American Widescreen Museum describing every aspect of VistaVision--for my money probably the best quasi-widescreen/high res film system ever devised. There's also a picture of one Mark G. built here on Film Tech.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it was built for four 4perf verticle pull down

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 03:27 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original paper is "The Rolling Loop -- A New Concept of Film Transport" by P.R.W. Jones, SMPTE Journal, January 1968, Volume 77, pages 21-23.

Bill Shaw's (IMAX) papers are in the September 1970 SMPTE Journal, Volume 79.

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 03:51 PM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it used regular 35mm (4 perf vertical), but was it really rolling loop (with a vertical rotor)? Or was it linear (vertical) loop?

In any case, it sounds very interesting, do any of you have a picture of this machine [Confused]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 04:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Gordon notes, Jones' original paper discusses 35mm 4-perf, and speaks as if the film is moving in a downward direction. The paper had drawings, but no photos. The paper clearly leave open the application to other film formats and frame rates, for both cameras and projectors.

The pages of the SMPTE Journal are full of motion picture and television history being made!

http://www.smpte.org/membership/individual/

http://www.smpte.org/smpte_store/journals/

A student membership is only $35 per year:

http://www.smpte.org/membership/individual/join_now/

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also heard there was one built but who knows by who.....Perhaps Pukesfilm didm theyn did convert one of the original "Production VV" machines to electronic intermittent. Stewart, you could be the first to build one now that the basic patent has expired. Neil could offer a Poor Mans horizontal format!

My machine runs fine as does the camera which I drag out now and then when I can afford to run some Eastman stock through it. If you want to see mine in action stop by the shop sometime. I leave it setup just off the screening room. I have an original reel of dailies of some takes of the "Ten Commandments" and some dailies from a Martin And Lewis film. Contrary to how other VV machines behave mine is extremely gentle on film due to the use of 32 tooth Positrol sprockets and a loop stabilizer on the intermittent. I've run these old dailies for people hundreds of times and the film is still in perfect shape and runs fine in spite of its being very brittle. Perhaps its time to Filmguard it for posterity.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Shaw had the original 4 perf vertical hand cranked rolling loop prototype around for years don't know where it went

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 07:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rolling loop for 35mm was a solution looking for a problem. Given the number of runs that can be had via conventional equipment (look at the mileage Disney gets at the theme parks) there really isn't much point.

Lest anyone be confused by Mark's post, his VistaVision projector is not a rolling loop but a conventional machine ingeniously converted from a regular Century including overcoming the major problem that simply turning a machine on its side and making it do 8-perf has the film running the wrong way for the VV format--the intermittent would have to push the film through the gate. There are machines out there like that and, frankly, they suck. Mark's runs film the right way.

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 02-02-2004, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Bob Brown ]

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 12:47 AM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 02-02-2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Bob Brown ]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2004 04:02 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob

The photo you posted isn't of the prototype its the "polished" second model.
The prototype was on display for many years at the IMAX offices.
It is considerably smaller and looked less finished

It was returned to be put on display in Ron Jones' native land about 10 years ago as I recall.

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2004 11:57 AM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bob, I would still like to see that picture...if you still have it handy...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2004 06:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So where did the picture go? Did Imax threaten him for posting it?

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-03-2004 07:35 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like anyone at IMAX Corp these days would care.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: