Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Print Quality (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Print Quality
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being very new to this game whenever I get a print that just doesn't look great on the screen I go straight to my equipment to see what needs adjusting or if something isn't right.95% of the time nothing is wrong with the gear.Is this just something I have to expect that some prints have bad focus,poor colour and brightness etc and other prints will look great?
At the moment my print of Somethings Gotta Give -no way you can get a sharp focus.LOTR-ROTK looks excellent-sharp focus,good colour etc.We put every print through our film cleaner(using Filmguard)as it is made up.Is it worth demanding another print if there is no mechanical damage just poor projected image-wouldn't i get exactly the same back?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-28-2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate about "Something's Gotta Give." That movie had sort of a soft focus quality. Probably to enhance the looks of the stars?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 01:23 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the audience fails to understand that soft focus is frequently done intentionally for effect. Also it seems the older the stars, the softer the focus. One night a few years ago after one guy bitched about the focus 3 times, I told the manager to send the asshole up to take a whack at it. His very cocky attitude was quickly humbled when he tried to focus a very dark, soft picture from 110 feet.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 08:25 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is very common for cinematographers to use diffusion or soft focus for older talent, or for "period" pieces.

Using lower resolution digital intermediate and CGI to save money and time can limit sharpness, and sometimes results in visible digital artifacts.

Super-35 can produce fine images, but compared to "true" anamorphic, "Size DOES Matter".

Likewise, Super-16 origination can be surprisingly good, but it certainly won't match good 35mm. And nothing comes close to 65mm. [thumbsup]

And I won't even get into movies shot on DV or HD. [Roll Eyes]

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 09:02 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It always amused me in some of the older films (Garbo, Davis, Crawford, etc.) when shots of the female lead would be heavily "gauzed" and cut into otherwise sharp footage. At least most cinematographers today try to achieve an overall look rather than the jarring changes.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I train new operators I tell them to be on the lookout for limited depth of field, selective focus or diffused focus effects in the movie. Often the director or D.P. call for these things to (supposedly) enhance the movie.

Sometimes you'll even see a shift in focus during a dialog between two people where "Character A" is in focus when he is delivering his lines then, without panning the camera, the focus shifts to "Character B".

Sometimes these effects can be subtile enough to make you think the projector is out of focus when it really isn't. I, too, have had complaints from people who have thought I wasn't focusing the projector well enough.

I have used Bill's trick of letting people focus the picture themselves on occasion. Shuts 'em up pretty quick! [evil]
Another trick when I get a complaint like that is to momentarily defocus the image and then refocus. People will see that on the screen and "know" that somebody has come to fix the problem, no matter how nonexistant it really was.

As simple as focusing a lens sounds, it's really a skill that has to be developed. You have to develop the "eye" to know where to look on the screeen at any given moment to get the right focus.

Once in a while I will go stand right in front of the screen and call up to the booth to "spot" for the operator while he focuses. Someday, I'd like to see if using binoculars or a spotting scope really works.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another trick when I get a complaint like that is to momentarily defocus the image and then refocus. People will see that on the screen and "know" that somebody has come to fix the problem, no matter how nonexistant it really was.

In all the times I've complained/whined [evil] about what I thought was bad focus, I've never once seen this occur. Well, maybe once. [Wink]

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a skill, it's an art!

Films shot with handheld cameras can be especially tough to do.
The easiest thing to focus on would be a long steady shot of something with a lot of texture, like grains of sand - but how often do we get that?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-29-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Focusing on the grain of the image is definitive, but with modern Kodak VISION and VISION2 color negative films, even high speed camera films usually have very fine grain.

Our screening rooms in Kodak have remote focusing, that allows the focus to be adjusted from the front of the theatre. I've also seen "focusing telescopes" or binoculars used if the throw is long -- just be sure they are in focus too, maybe able to see the screen perforations.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 02:46 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried the "come on up here and you try it" idea but when they see that steel ladder going "up there somewhere" they usually go away.

We open with Jack & Diane tomorrow (Friday) so I'll be looking for that (what we used to call) "Doris Day Fuzz."

Best place to focus is on actors' eyes. That usually works, or something "busy" with lots of texture.

I've noticed that ratings all seem soft the last few years. Trim up crystal clear and sharp on the tiny credits and the rating looks too soft. By then everyone is out anyway.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 03:26 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually prefer actors faces. With the exception of Morgan Freeman. Can't seem ever to focus that guy.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Pytlak wrote...
quote:
And I won't even get into movies shot on DV or HD. [Roll Eyes]
Tell me about it... [Big Grin]

In my film-festival stints I've had to deal with more video-to-film transfers than I care to remember. Even when I think I've got the focus spot-on as the opening credits roll, the lower resolution still quietly drives me nuts and makes me want to tweak the focus even more, even though I realize there's almost nothing to gain.

(At least the situation is better than the combination of sometimes fuzzy computer-animation shorts and ancient projection lenses I had to deal with when I ran "Spike and Mike's Festival of Animation" showings in the early 1990s. Explaining this to a complainer, which I had to do a few times and in a way to minimize embarrassment, was a bit of a challenge. [Frown] )

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-30-2004 02:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've also seen "focusing telescopes" or binoculars used if the throw is long -- just be sure they are in focus too, maybe able to see the screen perforations.
I once did a few relief shifts at a small two-screen which had easily the longest throw of any cinema I ever worked at. Screen 2 was built at the rear of what was once a single auditorium. Screen 1's beam projected across a roof void over the top of the smaller auditorium, through a second port glass, and then across the main auditorium to the screen. I couldn't give you the exact throw, but you'll get some idea from the fact that the 1:1.85 lens was something like 165mm! I did have real problems focusing, simply because the screen was too far away for me to see it properly. So on the second weekend I bought a pair of binoculars with me. Problem sorted, and several of the staff there commented that the picture was sharper than they'd ever seen it!

quote:
As simple as focusing a lens sounds, it's really a skill that has to be developed. You have to develop the "eye" to know where to look on the screeen at any given moment to get the right focus.
Assuming that there are no heat issues with the projector and that all reels of the feature are printed on the same sort of stock you should not (in theory, at least) have to make any focus adjustments once a feature has started, if it's all running from one machine. One thing I found in a number of sites is that it's very important to strike the lamp a few minutes before showtime, otherwise expanding metal will cause the focus to drift during the first few minutes of the show. The same goes with 6,000 changeovers; with 2,000 changeovers I'd always leave both lamps running throughout the show.

When the feature starts, I would look for a reference point (not the opening censor certificate or distributor logo, which is often printed on separate stock from the actual film), set the focus, and then leave it unless there was something clearly not right. I also found that if there was a complaint arising from either a bad print or intentional soft focus effects, throwing the focus drastically out and then bringing it back slowly to where you started usually shuts 'em up.

During the changeover from acetate to polyester focusing could be living hell, because you'd often get a print with some reels on acetate and others on poly.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 03:17 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our upstairs theaters (converted balcony) have slightly off-axis projection and lately focussing there has been an adventure. with new features, the credits, especially on one side, would be very soft without retouching the focus a couple times during the show. it seems to get better over the run.

downstairs we have horrible keystoning but focus stays on. must be the lens.

carl

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2004 03:34 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newest problem is Steven Soderbergs trademark grainy image that everyone thinks is out of focus, it happened with Out of Sight, Erin Brockovich and Traffic.

Some trailers are even shot soft, like that horrible movie The Skulls, that trailer was really soft, everyone was backlit and had an aura.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: