Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best projector
Bruk Mogos
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Bruk Mogos   Email Bruk Mogos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.What kind of projector,lamphouse(whole system) would you recommend for a new theatre?

2.What are the best projectors,lamphouses,consoles you worked with?

I need your little input for setting up a new Booth.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton For sure.Cost more up front but well worth it.Very reliable easy to maintain and very kind to film, the lamp houses give excellent light output and the picture rock steady,focus sharp.Have used them for many years differant models and cant fault them.For Multiplex use, the FP 50 E would be my choce or the FP30 E both suited for the job.Thier platters are also very good wouldnt use anything else they treat film well i have never ever had a brain wrap with them or a thrown print.As I said expensive but worth the extra $. Check out the Kinoton web site for info and specs etc. www.kinoton.com

Cheers,
Steve [beer]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-25-2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you boil it all down none are the best. All of them have things that someone will like or dislike. Its all what you are willing to put up with day in and day out. Every conceived piece of equipment in the world is in reality a big bucket of trade offs.

Mark @ CLACO

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-25-2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try an MiT lamphouse and an MiT platter. I'm not sure how close the lamphouse is to production, but the platter is probably at least a few days (maybe even weeks or months) away. One thing I can guarantee from Bevan posting here (he is of some importance at MiT) is that they care about the design of their products and it looks like they'll be pretty good on the suport side of things.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-25-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well first what type of installation is this is it a standard plex oris it a art or repatory theatre
I favour kinoton ernemann or cinemecanica

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-25-2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Gord also favors those Snake-Ore lenses and none of us can figure that one out [Wink] . With the three he's listed you will have projectors that run and run but when they don't you will also be guaranteed that you will get to purchase extremely expensive parts when ever they are needed. [Eek!]
Mark

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically favourites are like cars, no-one will agree on the best make/model.
I assume you are near a few multi's, chat to the projectionist, & observe the onscreen results.
My preference is for Vic's, but parts are readily available & cheapish here.

Good luck

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-25-2004 09:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mark f*&^ off I don't prefer sankor but use them as many other products that some elitiest don't approve of
funny how you will recomend a turret kelmar that will not let you use the variable prime lens yet slam kinton hmm
maybe utah salt air has something to do with it

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-25-2004 11:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bwahahahahahahahah....

No, I didn't bash anything. Mechanical designs are all a compromise of many sorts like it or not.

No, I also can't help the extremely high price of the European parts, thats something thats dictated by the rate of exchange but with Kinoton BL&S has definately helped make Kinoton parts somewhat more affordable.

Variable Prime...No! I've never had to use any of the variable primes as all the systems I've encountered in the last 20 years have been properly spec'ed out with standard lenses in the first place. Re-doing a given screens masking to accomodate "normal" lenses may well cost less anyway. The variables are quite pricy.

Yes, on occasion the Salt Lake stinks [Eek!] , usually when it is hot outside but this stink rarely blows into town.

Mark
P.S. I went back and looked for the word Kinoton above this posting...where is it and why on earth would I slam them?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-25-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to Kinoton, I'm not sure that the "E" versions are the best suited to mainstream Cinemas in terms of bang for the buck. If you need your projectors to do tricks or have a screening room, then yes. The D series exceeds the quality of the typical release print today.

As to parts, most Kinoton parts are not that expensive as compared to others.

I also have no problem with Simplex or even Century on a new install though I don't quite get why Centurys now cost more than Simplex.

As others have said...everyone has their preferences so what you are likely to get from this thread is everyone's opinion on what they like (for whatever reason) but you can't find a definative "best." All equipment has their ups and downs and what some may consider stupid others consider the greatest idea.

Steve

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2004 05:03 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you working with a budget? Have suppliers supply you with bids for the installation and throw out the lowest bid. Throw out the highest too...then go with the equipment you trust most.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-26-2004 05:25 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but that won`t work. Cheap equipment often costs you much more because it fails, you lose shows, have to buy parts, bring in a technician (unless you can repair the stuff). Not in the long run, but almost immediately. Once the warranty is over, you are at the mercy of whatever crap you bought "cheaply".
Also take into account that an inefficient lamphouse will make you use bigger (=more expensive) lamps. Saving money there is not saving at all.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 05:52 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The D series exceeds the quality of the typical release print today.

Ha...let's face it, a decent Super Simplex head is steadier than the typical release print today.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-26-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supers and E-7s can indeed put out fine pictures...and certainly deal with the typical release print.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think any of the european machines are very expensive for parts and I rarely replace any as most fail only due to abuse

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: