Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Automation cue extenders?

Author Topic: Automation cue extenders?
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 09:34 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a box full of something called an automation cue extender. I don't see anywhere that they are installed on my equipment. Anyone know what they are?

|  IP: Logged

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that they extend the cue for the automation??? [Wink]

Actually I don't know.
Sorry for the waste of a post, I just thought it was funny.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-23-2004 09:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Component Engineering makes a unit called "QX-10".

If your cue detector has three outputs you actually have 8 possible states. (7 different cues and 1 "no-cue" state.) If your automation has more than three functions controled by cues, the QX-10 will allow you to access more of them even though the cue detector only has three "guns".

Depending on the make/model of the unit you have it could be like the QX-10 or it could be a device that allows multiple trips of the detector to register as distinct cues:

1 cue going by the detector within one second (or some arbitrary length of time) equals one thing. 2 or more cues within that period of time equals another thing.

I've always imagined that the FM-35 could have something like 56 possible cue states if you stacked two sets cue patchess, one after another, about 10 frames apart. If only I could design the logic module to decode those states.

[Roll Eyes]

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 02:07 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this just came up the other day when i was going over lists of booth equipment. supposedly we have a qx-10 but i didn't know what it was. what does it look like (is it just a card or something?) and where might it be mounted? in the ta-10?

if we have one of these, we don't seem to be using it.

carl

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 06:00 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If its the Component Engineering unit then you don't need it with the TA10 as it already expands the three available cue's to seven. If you visit their site you will see a picture of the unit.

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 07:41 AM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cue expander (like QX-10) takes three cues and generates 7 possible outputs.

Cue extender (Kelmar made one) takes input from foil conduction type cue detectors (the ones that use foil tape to complete a circuit) and makes them constant duration output. Extenders are not needed with current proximity (optical or hall effect) detectors.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelmar also made a cue extender that decoded various foil placements as well

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: