Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which Model Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which Model Projector
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to know the model of this projector which is connected to the soundhead in my previous post and if parts are still available.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-23-2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a Simplex X-L (PR-1014) with Kelmar turret modification. The original version would have had a single lens holder. The PR-1014 is a current model and parts are definitely available from Strong. No idea on the Kelmar modification; it looks like the gate and trap are completely different from the original Simplex design.

Mike Perju
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for Mike Perju   Email Mike Perju   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a 1014 with a Kelmar turret; they had to have the front of the machine cut out. You can find out more about it on Kelmar's website. It also has a Kelmar curved gate and a automatic apt. plate changer. The gate is a payne in the ass to thread, is prety loud, and produces a shaky picture.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-24-2004 02:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say, the gate looks unusual. But you just explained it. But why replace the original gate?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2004 02:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
I regularly retrofit just the Kelmar gates onto straight gate Simplex's and have had only good results with them. They don't fall apart like the Simplex's do And they only have about 1/10th the amount of parts as is found in a Simplex assy.

There are two minor mods that need to be done to it before I install it. The first is to replace that spring on the rail that makes it pop open with a bit lighter spring. The next is to do a slight mod to the latch mechanism to keep r closing soo far...it almost pinches the film at the input and output ends! The ewasy adjustment will increase the clearance at the input and output ends of the gate. The first mod makes it alot easier to close with just your fingers and the second mod makes it run alot quieter and reduces needless tension on the film.

The Century version can be used as is. There are no minor things that need to be done to it.

Mark @ CLACO

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 03:00 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
What do you do to the latch mechanism to stop it closing so far?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2004 02:42 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those turrets are a POS
they can't be watter cooled and air cooled have major focus issues with anything over 2.5K lamps
Also many lens will not work in the turret due to length

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2004 04:28 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark-

I have two of those rebuilds on Centurys and one of them (scope lens) is just slightly out of alignment (verticle). What's the trick to getting it just right? I don't have a manual to go with it, and a check in the manuals section (Kelmar SA Century Upgrades) didn't provide any instruction.

Would appreciate your expetise.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is a very simple course alignement loosen the large allen screw and the lens will wooble around till you get it where you would like it and then lock it down

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2004 11:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"they can't be watter cooled "

Gord,
Try thnkig positive about a product just once..... Sure it can be done and it only takes a small amount of inginuity to do it. Water cooling a Kelmar gate assy is an easy thing to do. Very similar to water cooling an X-L trap. We have them operating day in and day out on 4K lamps here in SLC. Resolution is close to 80 line pairs across the screen with a Schneider Super Cinelux. Not bad by any standard and probably about what that lens is capable of! I'll certinaly continue to use them and have done so since they came out.
Mark @ CLACO

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-25-2004 12:34 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Andy Marglin ( The "Mar" of Kelmar ) the machined aircraft aluminum is more tolerant to heat than the more common brass used in other traps. We installed many with 3 and 4 kw with cold reflectors with no problems. Mounting a water jacket is no sweat. Lens problems while threading can be solved by jogging the lens partial cycle to clear and can be done as a easy modification if required.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-25-2004 10:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember Mark, what "lenses" our guy Gordy uses though...Snake ore and other "brands."

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-25-2004 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh yes, Snake-Ore. I sometimes find both out in the desert. Snakes and Ore. I love the desert and its vastness ...its such a cool place to explore and the last great frontier to show a film outdoors.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-25-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lets see you put a magnacom on the flat lens in one then
As for what brand of lens a turret shouldn't be brand specific either
The biggest issues I have had with lens in them were with short focallength schnieders

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-25-2004 06:44 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my Kelmar gates and lens turrets! [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: