Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which Model Soundhead (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which Model Soundhead
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 05:22 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone help me with the model number for this soundhead.The soundhead is belt driven.I have been told that Strong no longer keeps parts for the soundhead.Are parts still available for this?
I tried to include a picture of the projector but I couldn't seem to get 2 pictures in the one post then I tried to do another post for the projector and I got JOE'S ugly head!!!Anyway the projector's model number is unknown also,it is the type that you remove the trap for cleaning not the gate.It has a motorised turret that rotates without opening and closing.
 -

[ 01-23-2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Ian Bailey ]

|  IP: Logged

Juan Urias
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 10:32 AM      Profile for Juan Urias   Email Juan Urias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that looks like a newer version of the simplex 5star soundhead.we have a 5star soundhead here but it has a different style of damper assy. plate on it.......

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 10:35 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a Simplex "Five Star" soundhead which is a current production model.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-23-2004 10:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the original 5 star which was made when they were still in new jersey
It has a different damper assembly ans I do believe most of the parts are NA now that relate to the damper
some are the same though as the current 5 star

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that an SH-72?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-23-2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe if you look on the front of the unit (part facing the screen) that it will say SH-7300 or SH-7310...

This was the first incarnation of the "5-star" soundhead.

You have several differences from the current one and even from later SH-7310s.

The pinch roller was the short-lived sliding catching POC. Then you have the novel, if not crappy pad roller spring thing.

This version was short lived. The next incarnation I know bore the SH-7310 name and is essentially the same 5-star as we have now except the sprocket shaft is uniform in size (except to accept set screws, keys and such) so that all three bearings are the P-7015. The pad roller arm is similar to the current one except that it is milled out to not interfere with the webbing of the bearing casting. The idler roller doesn't need a spacer since the casting bumps out.

For the one in the picture...it is definately under limited support. The SH-7310 is supported since it uses the same pinch roller assy and damper as the current unit...the pinch roller on yours I think is not supported.

Steve

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
I have looked all over this soundhead many times-there is no ID plate or model number anywhere to be found.The problem I had with it was the "PAD" roller on the sound drum(I call it the sound drum layback roller)was made of a cork material and it had worn out so we had to thread it up with the damper hard up against it's stop so the film would not ride over the edge of the sound drum.That's when I was told that parts were not available for the pad roller.My service tech made up a rubber roller for the pad that solved most of the problem.The small problem we have now is on start up the print still skews a bit on the sounddrum until the projector comes up to speed and the damper moves back to it's normal operating pressure.Another problem is the roller to the right of the sound drum(which appears to have 2 positions it can be located)has a brass bush in it that is worn and it has worn the post it is mounted on,this could be easily rebuilt but it is the down time of the projector that is a problem.Can i assume that the 2 drive belts are the same for all 5 star sound heads?

[ 01-23-2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Ian Bailey ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-24-2004 02:11 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Depending on when it was made, it will have a belt with either square or round teeth. Check the last page of the parts manual for all details.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also known around these parts of the country as the Simplex
0-Star. Really the poorest design Simplex sound reproducer ever done. The first examples of these were actually used by Disney's portable projection crews for the early "Disney On Ice" show.
As usual we do have some new and used parts for these in stock in our huge parts inventory. Congradulations for keeping your equipment so spotless [thumbsup] !!

As for Joe's ugly head..... it also gets 0 stars [Wink] !

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2004 02:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were several different belt combinations depending on the motor

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-26-2004 06:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, after doing some research...the offical name for the soundhead listed is....

"Simplex 35 Soundhead" This is the designator used by Simplex throughout their documentation and drawings. There was no SH number officially assigned that I've been able to find in print.

I have sent Brad (for posting) a pdf file of the documentation on this soundhead including the various prints and wiring diagrams.

The drawings are devoid of dates, unfortunately. However, the SH-7310 drawings indicate that they had its final form by April of 1971. The SH-7310 has all the familiar features of the current 5-star soundhead (pinch roller and such).

Doing some detective work it looks like the Simplex 35 Soundhead had its roots in 1967 (the oldest drawing that seem to indicate that the Simplex 35 was the first device use the drawing (the "modern mono solar cell").

Steve

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-08-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 590 days since the last post.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it is a very old post but I needed the picture to explain my problem.
As you can see from the picture the damper roller before the bottom sprocket is almost touching it's stop.We have to thread it up this tight or we get volume level fluctuations and a heavy hum on some prints only.
The A-chain has been done very recently and this has done nothing to stop the problem(apart from costing me a lot of money!!).
Originally this machine had a cork lateral guide roller then a service tech(I used to use) "made up" a rubber insert for the roller as they felt parts were not available.I am not 100% sure that this rubber insert is perfectly round.With the projector set with a fast ramp-up speed the print used to try and skew itself off the lateral guide roller until the damper roller took up tension-this problem was greatly reduced by slowing the ramp-up speed of the projector via the speed controller.
Any ideas on what could be causing my problem?

P.S. Mark G. as you stated in my old post Claco has some parts for this sound head- do you have the lateral guide roller insert if that is what is causing my problem?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-08-2005 05:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian. As looking on that damper roller, which looks like a plastic roller from the Alpha platter with those exposed bearings, to where the new designed damper roller has the sealed bearings and is made from turned aluminum, wonder if the return spring inside the roller hub is getting weak and the viscous fluid has lost its consistency to stabilize the movement....

Roller have any flat spots on the surfaces? Also, wonder if your scanner drum bearings are getting tired by getting tight to turn the shaft, with it having a hard time stabilizing the film with the ramping up of the motor - especially with you having to put on a speed reducer for slower ramping speeds.....

Also, is the flywheel, attached to the scanner drum shaft, dragging on any surface - too inboard to where it's hanging up on the belt tensioner roller sprocket, or too outboard - rubbing on the cover? I've seen a few of these two examples of irratic sound output, but have to ask.....

Wonder also, if Mark doesn't like these 5-star units due to poor design, and we know that Simplex wanted to get that motor from hanging out of the front to make a more compact unit, how would have he designed the inner/outer workings to be more effective...

thx-Monte

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2005 07:46 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monte
The damper roller is aluminium,spring action seems fine and the bearings foo the impedance drum feel fine,flywheel is fine.
I had this problem some time ago and now it's come back again.
The lateral guide roller seems to have a small amount of up and down movement in it when the projector is running.
There is no deposits on the impedance drum or lateral guide roller.
The fault seems to be intermittent with the same print.I ran What the Bleep tonight and had the damper roller set with one sprocket hole of slack and I got the heavy buzz/hum.Had to stop the show and reset the damper with NO slack at all,still had the buz/hum for a few minutes then it stopped.Next show-Land of the Dead ran perfect with one sprocket hole of slack in the damper as I had started the previous show.This soundhead is really starting to give me the shits!!
I am going to run a Buzz Track loop on it tonight to see if that shows anything.
......2 hours later........
Buzz track seemed ok,only made a very slight adjustment to the lateral guide roller(inwards about a pubic hair!!!!}
What I did find was the impedance drum had noticeable run out in it(up and down runout).Which accounts for the noticeable up and down movement in the lateral guide roller.I found this by spinning the flywheel(on the end of the impedance shaft)by hand and watching the impedance roller spin without the lateral roller engaged.The shaft spins very smoothly with no sign of bearing wear or noise and there seems to be no play in the shaft.It seems like the impedance drum is not positioned squarely on the shaft.What's my next step?

[ 09-08-2005, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Ian Bailey ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: