Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AP3 platter problem

Author Topic: AP3 platter problem
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-20-2004 05:07 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with an Strong AW3 platter; hoping you guys can help. The platter was working OK until a few days ago. The problem is; Whichever deck is used for payout, that deck runs slow. The takeup is OK.

I've tried several different payout heads (the 'new' phase control type) - same problem. I thought the varic may have a dead spot in it, so I replaced the entire varic assembly - same problem. I tried lowering the motor position, which speeds it up. But I need to lower it so far, it barely touches the deck, and the film wraps at startup because there's no torque. And since every motor acts the same, I don't think that's the problem.

I feel it must be a voltage problem, since it happens with every deck. I've measured 25v on the varic. If I press down on the takeup carriage assembly, making the varic voltage go up, the platter runs OK. Also (strangely) the platter will run OK if I flip the feed caster on the unused deck to make it think it's taking up.

Thanks for any suggestions!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-20-2004 07:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check the trimmer for the calibration of the payout head

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-21-2004 12:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be nitpicky, but do you mean AP3?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-21-2004 10:39 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, sorry, it is an AP3; I have Christies on the brain....!

Hi Gordon; I don't think it's the payout head... several of them do the same thing.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-21-2004 08:10 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're all about the same age, Gordon's most likely correct.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2004 02:00 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same problem awhile back, im trying to remember exactly what we did to rectify it. To get by we hung a weight from the pulley system which in turn increased the tension to the take up and sped up the payout. Hope this helps, when i go in tomorrow ill look at the platter and figure out what we did to solve it. [beer]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-22-2004 03:47 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you even replaced the variac I am sure you also made sure it is set correctly as described in the manual? Sometimes it helps to "turn up the volume" on the hub a little.
Regarding the trimpot on the control plate - does anyone know what measurements should be read when the phase mask is fully open?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: