Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP55 Processor

Author Topic: Dolby CP55 Processor
Jerry Arp
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 06:54 AM      Profile for Jerry Arp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the capabilities of the Dolby CP55 processor are? I can't seem to find the info on Dolby's site.

Any suggestions on upgrading?

Thanks,

Jerry

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2004 08:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Briefly so I'm not late to work.....Its fully capable for playing back any digital system with the addition of a cat 441. SR is an expensive addition though however the Panastereo outboard SR unit is probably the least expensive of the bunch and best sounding route to go.
MArk @ CLACO

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-19-2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 441 -- would that provide split surrounds?

(The CP55 only offered one surround channel.)

While we're on this topic: What are the key differences between the CP55 and CP65?

Am I to understand that the CP55 cannot handle SR internally?

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 11:19 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the 441 does give split surround

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 11:23 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case Mark Gulbrandonson's post was confusing, Upgrading a CP-55 basically takes three steps:

A) First the processor must be upgraded to SR (assuming it is not already so confirgured). This will require SRA-5 which contains two Cat 280 cards (See excellent discussion of this card around December 2003 earlier in this forum)or another alternative would be the Panastereo which Mark refers to.

B) Then the addition of the 441 Card to replace the 241 Card. This gives you the split surrounds. This also requires some backplane work on the processor.

C) You then add your digital as an outboard. In my opinion an older DTS-6 works best with the older CP-55 units because it has a better digital to analog converter.

[ 01-19-2004, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan M. Crist ]

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JONATHAN,

i hope you're joking for the digital to analog converter!!!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-19-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also there is the option of converting the CP55 to use the cat 222sr/a card

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-19-2004 05:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What are the key differences between the CP55 and CP65?
The CP65 is designed out of the box to accept 6-channel input from a DA20 and also can handle 35/70mm mag input via a MPU. Also the 65 has a 222 SR/A card in it from the factory. The CP55 needs to be modified to handle any of these formats (except 35mm mag) or to take the 222 SR/A card.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2004 07:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll excuse his spelling of my last name but Jonathan seems to be the one confused here. In reality the D to A's are exactly the same in the 6 and older 6D's, they both used a similar implementation of the same APT chip. Its actually the analog output stage thats far superior in the 6, Jensen output transformers and all. There is also no DC converter powering the analog stage in the 6. These were a high failure rate item in the 6D untill DTS changed to another vendor. If you ever get a 6D with no audio output but with the green digital light on and everyting else as normal just replace the DC converter to cure the problem.

I have to laugh...customers are sometimes pretty funny. They will chew you out for selling them the older used unit for a cheap price but then they come back later on knowing they were actually sold the better unit [Big Grin] . Gee I wonder how they figure that all out????

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: