Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A Troubleshooting Tip With The ORCON II Console Automation Unit.

Author Topic: A Troubleshooting Tip With The ORCON II Console Automation Unit.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-18-2004 05:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For several years I have been plagued with the automation dropping out for no apparent reason. At first, I suspected the FM-35 fail-safe to be the culprit, but in total exchange with another unit from another projection station ruled that out. Fail safe tracking was also scrutinized.

The next suspect was relay problems. A slight tap on the cover of some of the relays would cause the system to drop out. Replacing those relays corrected a few more unwanted drop-outs.

An off-balance cooling fan was setting up enough vibration that would cause some relays to drop out.

I might add a complete wiring inspection did not reveal any loose or deteriorated connections.

After pulling my hair out, I finally replaced the automation with another. Then something caught my eye. It was a bobble in the green LED film presence light on startup. Totally abnormal.

Replaced the 24-volt DC power supply, no more bobble of the film presence light on startup

Faulty regulator board of the ORC automation power supply, old relays in excess of 20 years old, and an off-balance blower causing excessive vibration seemd to be the major causes of 2 years of hair-pulling.

Thought I would pass this along to you in hopes it will save some of your tempers from flying. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 07:05 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Very good detective work. I would share with you that in servicing digital systems (church organs) the power supply is the first suspect in the process of elimination. A digital meter is great for accuracy in setting the regulators but the old Simpson 260 can show fluctuations that only look like dancing digits on the other meter. (The Fluke has a little bar that acts faster than the numerics also but it is harder to see from a distance.)

There is a philosophy that when diagnosing any problem we tend to suspect the most expensive components first. (eg. the mother board not the IO connections etc.) Also: all intermittents are destined to make the technician frustrated!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2004 10:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many of the old ORC relay autmations were raven pac2 with the orc name on them or later ORC as did CFS just copy them
The big problem was violatge because of the number of blocking diodes in serries often many relays had less than there ideal pull in or holding voltages if the voltage regulator board was off
it should be 27 volts output on the regulator board to make it stable

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 11:24 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect the filter caps on that supply have seen better days.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2004 11:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had the cap fail in one of them but most had drifted to under 25 volts and with the 4 junction drops would make the relays a bit flakey

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: