Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » UA theatre projectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: UA theatre projectors
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 08:48 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if tha old UA theaters had a standard projector setup. I know a lot of chains tends to use the same projector setup in most of the installations. THe local University has bought a closed UA 6 plex and is looking to move a 2 of the projectors around into a 2 projector booth and has asked me to go look at them this week. I was just trying to get a head start on the specs. The only info the college said was that it is a one projector system and wanted to know if it could be converted. I guess when UA closed up shop they left it all in place. It will be interesting to see what they left.

|  IP: Logged

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a look in the picture warehouse and saw an older UA using Strong Highlight consoles with Simplex XL heads and AW3 platters. The majority of them had the entire Christie package installed (mostly newer builds). I guess someone here that deals with them would be better off answering this.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-17-2004 09:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the old ones were early christie packages

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably depends on the era of the build. I've seen them with all ORC platters and consoles, and Century pic and sound heads.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-17-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they use Bauers way back when?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 11:09 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fitz,

I I recall correctly, when I was at the Cinema 6 on Oleander, I hear mention that the UA had Strong or Christie projectors. I'm almost sure that's waht they ran... I never actually went into the booth there..

So UNCW is bought that property, huh? I wondered how long that would take. Hell, if they'd expand the curriculum to include film - film-technology, they'd be set up!!

BTW, The new mall is within 5 weeks of opening for busines! I still can't believe it.... [Frown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-17-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a "6 plex", then odds are you will have either ORC platters (with the brown tree [puke] ) or AW3 platters. Your lamphouse will almost certainly be one of those older style Christie lamphouses (commonly called "the black hole of light") and for the projector it's probably Centurys.

Don't expect anything great performance-wise from them.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 11:50 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason
Yes UNCW now owns the theatre and they also now have a Film Studies major degree. They are looking into all the different options for the site. I think the main reason they got it was for the 9 acres that it sits on across the street from the campus. We will have to wait and see if they use the building or not. Thanks for the input on the projectors

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the few UA theaters I have been in the equipment is all over the map. Some complexes had Norelco AA2, Century JJ, Century SA, Simplex XL or combinations of the above all in the same building---a real 'mix n match' of equipment. You may even find some Kintek or Eprad processors.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2004 11:15 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The university could open the theater back up and generate revenue. Bargain prices could attract students using a student ID card.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2004 03:22 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it will be a while longer until I can get in there to see the projectors. Two reasons were given, first the university does not have title to the building as of yet, (it is taking them forever), and second before they can use the building it must be brought up to state codes for the unuiversity to use so they considered it condemmed until they can make the needed renovations. They will let me know when I can get in there.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-10-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 415 days since the last post.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear tell from our tech that the former Burnsville I UA theater had Bauers with ORC platters & consoles. That was a 4 plex inside the Burnsville Center mall, circa 1977. The Burnsville II ran Centuries with ORC consoles and some "backwards platters" whose name I can't remember. That was the theater outside the mall, circa 1983. Burnsville I is now an Old Navy store, and Burnsville II has been redeveloped into an upscale strip mall, of sorts.

FWIW

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Scott,
I worked the outside UA house in the mid 80's. It had ORC platters and consoles with century heads and kelmar lens turrets. Speakers were Klipsch. It was the indoor with Bauers, Prime Energy platters that rotated backwards. It was always fun to run films over from the oher theatre. We had to flip the print upsidedown to run them after they ran on the Prime Energy platters. When they closed the indoor up a old projectionist took the Prime Energy platters. He told me he was using them to make sculptures!

Bill Carter, Are you still running an ORC at S.A.M?

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2005 02:48 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, Barry,

Nope. They're all older SPECO's at St. Anthony Main. I'm not sure how long ago the ORC's left the place, though there was still an inoperable one shoved in a corner when I got here about 3 years ago.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: