Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film-Guard and 8mm

Author Topic: Film-Guard and 8mm
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found some of dad's old 8mm that I thought was long lost. And they look great, however some have some sort of mold or mildew growth on them, visible especially in some lighter scenes, it looks like dark "snowflakes". Anyone know what this might be, and if cleaning with FG would help? It's only ever for a minute or two, and not on the entire strip. I'm wondering if dad used different types of films, as it always disappears after a splice.......Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 03:02 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave

I have also super 8 films processed 1968-1970 (Kodachrome II and Agfacolor) with dark spots looking as black snow flakes. I think that the quality of processing was not very good at that time ....
I have also a strange phenomena with a 9.5 mm reel of an "edition" film : the acetate seems to break up giving a white powder (like talc) ; of course, it is impossible to run the film in any projector : the perforations are stopped by this powder which returns always even after having cleaned film . Bizarre ???

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-19-2004 03:40 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cleaning with FilmGuard will probably help to loosen up the mold deposits, Dave. Be careful that the film doesn't get scratched by chunks of mold that come loose though.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2004 05:23 AM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be a fungus eating the emulsion / dye.
A common problem in warmer climates. If it is a fungus, Film-Guard won't help.

Dennis

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-19-2004 07:27 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Kodak website:

Emulsion Deterioration

Film Storage

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-20-2004 01:25 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been various other threads around the storage and care of film collections in homes; a search should throw some of them up pretty easily...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: