Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » PORT GLASS

Author Topic: PORT GLASS
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading with interest all the posts on this topic and I am keen to replace the very reflective,green edged and very scratched glass that is currently in the ports.It took some time but I have finally tracked down a local supplier.He has had experience supplying glass for this purpose and his recommendation was a LOW-IRON Optical quality glass(without a non-reflective coating).When I mentioned that everything that I have read on this site talks about non-reflective coatings he said that he can supply glass with non-reflective coatings but in his opinion the LOW-IRON Optical quality glass would be FLATTER and thus be a better product.The LOW-IRON glass is more expensive than the non-reflective coated glass (which is also optical quality as far as I know).ANY COMMENTS?

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-16-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apropriate coated glass is preferable as its non refelctive properties yield less light loss. This is not a huge issue until you use double pane ports when it then becomes essential to prevent or minimize cross reflection between sheets of glass that end up as a double image on the screen.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 09:25 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The anti reflective coatings are amazing. I use coated glass on my screening room and was surprised that I could not see my reflection (I'm not a vampire) in the glass not matter how I moved around. It wasn't that expensive either. I'm sure if you look in the archives you can find this topic a couple of times

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys I am going to replace mine ASAP.I noticed tonight that I could see the whole picture reflected onto the floor next to the projector in our small BIO

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 06:17 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't tell from the photo, but my picture (at the left) was taken through the anti reflective glass port.

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 01:26 AM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

The glass you are after is called 'OPTI-WHITE'. When looking at the edge it has a clearish tinge rather than the cheaper glass, which has a green tinge.

From memory you should pay about $40 - $50 per pane. I got it close to cost price, however I have heard it as high as $80 a pane.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 03:07 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
I have been quoted $150 plus freight for a piece of the "low-iron optical quality glass(approx 450mmx350mm)and was told the non-reflective coated glass was a bit cheaper than that.Where did you get the opti-white glass from,and did you notice a lot of difference after you installed it?
What do you use to clean the glass and do you know of any product that will reduce the static on the glass so it stays
cleaner longer?
ps and where is KIRWAN?

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 03:37 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian

I don't know how much money you have available, but a company here in Europe is now supplying a fire-rated non-reflective-coated optical ("white") glass. Check out:

www.focuscomp.dk

If your ports are small enough it might be viable to ship them...who knows!

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,

The company who supplied the glass is a local one named Nu-Lite. I got it at cost due to knowing the manager at the time. I will check specifics when I go back to work, as it was a couple of years back. I am sure it worked out to be about $50 per pane for the size you are after.

Kirwan is a suburb of Townsville in Queensland.

I know there are many arguments for and against what to use for cleaning port glass, however we use 1 part metho diluted with one part water. It works fine with lint free paper wipes and leaves no streaks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: