Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Speco LP 270

Author Topic: Speco LP 270
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a SPECO-LP270 which has the following information on the identification plate
LP 271
LP 270-3
S0692661010
Serial no.3645 Manufacture date 30/8/94
We have 2 problems with this machine
1:none of the lights(which are mounted under each deck)are working(bulbs are ok)They were all working at one stage but then stopped-I think this was after one of the light fittings was damaged.
2:When starting a show you have to manually give the take-up platter a good spin with your hand just as the projector starts up or you run the risk of the yo-yo hitting the bottom of it's travel and activating the micro switches or the FM-35(which is mounted under the sound head)stopping the projector.This platter has a removeable BRAIN and the same problem occurs no matter which deck is used for take-up.The motors are 110vac and we have a 240vac-110vac transformer mounted at the base of the tree to supply AC to the motors.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 09:32 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well over here in Perth I have run into a similar problem, the work around solution was to get a magnet (or a block of wood and hope it does not fall off) that sits a bit higher then the bottom of the YoYo micro switch so that when the YoYo drops it does not shut off but give the motor a chance to catch up, just make sure you remove it after its gets going so it stops at the end of a show. Once we had the motor rebuilt it runs fine and the magnet is not needed, those motors seem to get slower with age from what I have seen anyway.

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 04:07 AM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Light Problem: Inside the cover, the cover that is over your 3
multifunction switches is a transformer, the only one that is there,this transformer runs your lights---nothing but your lights.

YO-YO, One check the YO-YO, the spiral and straight rod make sure both very clean, add a drop or two of oil, rub and spead
it over the length of the rods, my hand pull the yo-yo up and down to make sure it is travleing smoothing.

If the above does not solve your problem: In the black box
underneath the yo-yo is the variac, in between is nylon coupler,
make sure both of these are turning freely and together at the same time, often the allen set screw has come lose on the coupler causing the variac to turn faster than the coupler.

Chris Greenwell
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 07:36 AM      Profile for Chris Greenwell   Email Chris Greenwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, with your light problem, is the button lights working?? I know that both the button lights and the tier lights are ran off that transformer in the control box up top. You have the newer specos so you should have a fused transformer unlike the old drive in platters. Most likely if the buttons dont work as well the fuse is most likely the problem. Also on the yo yo, I have ran into the same problems , I just in the past have used a little Xecote on a rag and wiped down the two rods, and that seemed to clean it up and help it out a little bit

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,the button lights are working but now that I know where the transformer is located it should not be too difficult to track down the fault.As for the slow take-up I have lubricated the shafts with a light machine oil and that has improved the situation.

Michael I will check the variac/nylon coupler once I am a bit more active-broke a bone in my foot 3 days after Xmas,the busiest time of the year for us.The take-up is still slower than what I feel it should be and it is common to all decks.

Paul because the problem is the same for all decks I just can't see how 4 motors would be all low on torque at the same time but I am going to have a very close look at them so I know what condition they are in(motor brushes/drive shaft rubbers/bearings/AC supply from the 240v-110v transformer etc)
Thanks for the help guys!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-16-2004 03:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of projector do you have I have had problems with speco's and some very fast starting machines before

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 09:18 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know which Simplex model it is(no identification plates on it).All I can tell you is that you remove the trap for cleaning rather than the gate(different from our 1050's where you remove the gate for cleaning)I will post a picture of it when I can to have it identified.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help guys it is much appreciated.
I'm pretty sure I'm on top of it now the SPECO had 2 pretty obvious problems,which I found once I got of my fat arse and had a good look.
1: The YO-YO shaft was dry so a bit of light oil fixed that.
2: The rubber drive was slipping on the edge of the deck on take-up.This was caused by a combination of stiff motor mounts,weak "hold-down" springs and shiny rubber on the drive.The four motors all needed the same attention.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: