Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Cleaner For 16mm

Author Topic: Film Cleaner For 16mm
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the projects I'm working on is a screening room for a private film club. I'll be using a Eiki 1500 xenon machine that has been modified to run 6,000 ft reels. I've never seen a 16mm film cleaner. Can the 35mm cleaners be set up for use with this machine?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-14-2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, just remove the spacer between the drive wheels and replace with something of the correct width, like some washers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2004 06:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to do a tips page on this for some time. It's somewhat easy, but for now it's on my "to do" list.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 07:09 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film cleaner that I mentioned in this thread , an ELF PREMIER drikleen works for both 16mm and 35mm however I don't know if there are any dual format cleaners still in production. There is an indented grove in the rolers for the 16mm film.

-

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 07:38 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -- There's a sneak preview for ya! [Wink]

=TMP=

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 09:53 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ECCO makes a rewind bench mounted film cleaner unit for 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, and 70mm.

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
kelmar makes or made a film cleaner that could be converted to either 16, 35, or 70.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 10:55 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had threads about film cleaning and "film society" venues before, and the one potential drawback to the Kelmar type wet media Film-Guarding in that environment is that it seems to take several runs before a print shows maximum benefit, while I would guess most of your prints would be rentals or, more likely, borrowed collector prints which will only be shown once and then returned. If so, you may be better off doing a hand cleaning between rewinds prior to the show. That way you'll probably get more dirt than on a single pass with a media cleaner, and you'll also get that wonderful Film-Guard side benefit of eliminating base scratches and giving the print the glow of a mint print. I'm not knocking going the Kelmar route, but I think Brad would agree that Film-Guard was designed for theatrical use where the print would receive multiple, regular passes. Good Luck. BTW: If you've got the same EX-1500 model I had that big reel setup (with the external take up motor and no rewind) was a factory job. One other point, the rectifier on that unit, as I recall, can crank up to something in the range of 18-20 amps. You should consider ditching the 300w xenon in favor of a 350 from the later EX-3500 series machines. You'll get nearly double the rated lumens, and it's almost a direct substitute--all you have to do is attach the permanent strap lead on the 350 lamp to the projector stud instead of the strap lead from the projector being attached to the lamp. It's a 2 minute job. Eiki was substituting the 350's after the 300's were discontinued, and now Superior Quartz is making a beautiful copy of the Ushios for around $290. Call up Dennis Losco if you need one. Trust me on this--it's worth doing if your budget permits.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 02:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for your responses and good wishes. And Jeff I'll sure check it out. You're right, our prints will be mostly rentals coming from Swank or Criterion and several Christian film producers.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 10:31 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob: One other tip on the EX-1500's relates to the belts. You have one main drive belt inside the machine with the rest of it geared like an old RCA 400, and two belts on the takeup arm. Most of those machines require belt replacement by this time, and Eiki is long out of the business of supplying them. I found perfect replacements at McMaster Carr and Grainger. Just check under poly "O" rings. You'll have to do some trial and error as I long since sold my machine and didn't keep the parts numbers, but they're cheap enough you can order several sizes and pick the best by trial and error. Finally, if you open the back on the projector you will notice the lead from the solar cell plugging into the amp. As good as the amp is, I got noticeably better sound by pulling the signal off the solar cell lead, padding it down with a 500 ohm or so resistor, and feeding it directly into my sound rack with eq, bass synthesizer, and bi-amped QSC's. I just used a old Altec michrophone preamp I got for $25 on ebay and it worked like a charm. I don't know how far you want to go with the project, but at least those 1500's are so big and open you can work with them easily. Good luck.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: