Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Making The Film Motion Detector Compatible To The Maxi8-X Xetron Automation

Author Topic: Making The Film Motion Detector Compatible To The Maxi8-X Xetron Automation
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-13-2004 09:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an easy way that I don't know of to make the Xetron Maxi-8X compatible to the film motion detector in the FM-35?

The Maxi-8X wants terminal 3 of TB-1 ungrounded to be happy. Grounding terminal 3 of TB-1 via the old Xetron split film/cue detector simulates tail-out of the projector.

Configuring the FM-35 for this type of setup is very easy for the film presence detector. However, the film motion detector can't be done this way because the contacts will apply a ground to terminal 3 of TB-1 which will inhibit pre-roll of the motor when the start button is depressed. If it were wired opposite, the projector will shut down as soon as film motion is detected.

I could make it work with a couple of relays, but I don't want to do that unless I have to.

Any simple ideas anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 10:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add a dip relay with one side connected to the + rail the low side to the motion sense
then connect the xetron automation across a normally closed contact

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-14-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, is this what you have in mind? Unless I missed something, it looks like it will work on paper.

Edit: Old schematic deleted. Please see the new one and its explanation below.

[ 01-15-2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 08:14 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Check your wiring of the motion sensor contacts. I don't think you want the DIP relay coil to return to the automation as it is drawn here. You will want the DIP relay contacts to close and make the automation see ground as it does with the film present sensor.
KEN

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-15-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In princaple it should work

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-15-2004 10:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK - Here is what I am going to try tomorrow. This should solve the problem. Please eyeball it and see what you think. The capacitor C-1 will be a heavy electrolytic so it has enough LC time to discharge so the automation will see the film motion loss to trip the automation off line.

-

Unless I screwed up, I am confident this will work. [Smile]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 12:15 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:

Check out the document "Interfacing the FM-35 to Kelmar/Christie automations" on the Film-Tech main page under Public Addions 9-6-03. I think more info is also on Component's website.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: