Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MiT platter design review (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: MiT platter design review
Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 12:22 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

The ideas and suggestions on the console design were so relevant and helpful that we would like to take this opportunity to do the same with the platter. Again, not re-inventing the wheel here, going with what we know works and updating as the ideas and resources allows. We look forward to your comments and suggestions, and although we may not be able to implement everyone’s suggestions into the products, we certainly appreciate your participation and will consider them all.

-

-

-

Features

• Solid-state control circuit - Platter and make-up table drive electronics are compatible/pluggable cards
• IR/Photo-diode control sensors
• Independent, optimized payout and take-up control sensors – 180deg payout filter and 70 deg take-up filter for more precision and graduated acceleration.
• Integrated film payout 'over-tension' sensor and take-up 'not ready' sensors – contact closure interface to any automation.
• 52in [1.32m] scratch resistant decks with 'micro-groove' textured surfaces – single sided spun aluminum decks with a second disk bonded to the lower edge for support instead of the typical ribs. Advantage, no ‘head smacking’ or ‘fan effect’ from the ribs.
• Fixed roller clusters, no slide bar
• Bodine drive motors – natural rubber drive wheels.
• Self-aligning in-coming and out-going guide rollers
• ‘Over center spring’ motor release mechanism
• LED power indication and threading lights
• Standard film cleaner mounting provisions
• Recessed center feed plate - film aligns perfectly with protective keeper rollers
• Elevated payout rollers
• Large and small diameter take-up rings
• Bronze roller bearings/bushings on all rollers and keepers
• Packaging design to reduce on-site set-up time
• Vertical or horizontally configurable make-up table
• Colors – Column (Blue), Rollers (Grey), Deck (Grey), Brackets (Black).

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-13-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The platter should not be rim-drivin so that we can use Brad's new Giant-Platter-Guard-Ring-Thingy.

Bob Peticolas
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 01:34 PM      Profile for Bob Peticolas   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could the drive motor be on the INSIDE of the rim? This would allow Brad's Platter Guard to fit.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 02:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been a fan of the use of an edge rim drive as it gives the greatest speed differential between the motor and platter
What about putting the motor so it drives on the inside edge of the rim lip

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-13-2004 02:05 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the decks are driven internally. Hard to tell though, drawing two conflicts with drawings one and three.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-13-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sending Bevan a "Safety Ring" (yes, that's what they are called), so he can play with one.

Let's see....
  • Takeoff rollers are too low as pictured. (Perhaps the drawing is not to scale.)
  • Model the keeper from the late model Christie design please. There has never been a keeper that wonderful before.
  • Fixed roller clusters? Not sure I like that. Kids tend to get confused when there are tons of rollers. The slide bar is better.
  • Self-aligning incoming and outgoing rollers...there should be a stop bracket of some sort. Strong's platter is like this and it's awful annoying because you have to hold the roller still with one hand while putting the film into the roller with the other. If there were "stops" that could be preset for maximum self-aligning pivot (say 45 degrees worth), that would be great.
  • When brain is removed, there isn't a way for the film to "fall down" through the platter deck, is there? (See the review for Strong platters.)
  • Please...small center rings no smaller than 19".
  • Is there some sort of film tensioner in the payout? (I am assuming you are doing this as semi-modeled from an AW3.)
  • Black rollers please!!!
  • Speaking of rollers, please model the part of them which makes contact with the film like the green Christie rollers. That makes it easy to slide the film in and out of them, unlike the older style black ones with the hard ridges and rollers like Kinoton which are ridiculously tapered inward.
  • Not everyone is 7 feet tall! Don't pull a Big Sky and put that film cleaner bracket up there. Put it where the AW3 has it or the mount is useless.
I would like to see drawings of the MUT. The motor DOES stay in contact with the platter during breakdown to provide backtension, right? Any platter that doesn't gets an "F" rating for poor film handling on shipout.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-13-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a film cleaner bracket near the top of the column? That's kind of high. There are a lot of short people in the booth. One should be able to operate the cleaner (rewind the media) without needing to stand on something or remove the cleaner from the column.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-13-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, would like to see the MUT. Since most platter damage seems to happen during makeup and breakdown, this is critical.

Agreed with Brad's comment about the keeper brackets that Christie uses on AW3s. They're the best that I have seen.

Is this platter designed for 35mm only or will there be a 70mm kit available? Any chance of a 16mm kit, too? What is the process for switching between formats?

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 02:58 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Gordon - Drive is internal pushing out on platter rim.

Adam - Film cleaner location not set yet, we may have two top/bottom.

Brad - Will raise the take-off rollers. Swivel of rollers is limited. Keeper brackets are tough, requires a VERY expensive 4-piece mold. Platter deck is solid - no film falling through it. We had planned on a dark grey roller with black keeper.

Still working on the MUT - any suggestions on favorite features?

Max Biela
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 03:00 PM      Profile for Max Biela   Email Max Biela   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi!

What about the Pay out unit? PLEASE put some Rollers around it!
The best Payout unit I've ever saw is from an Ernemann Platter. The platter is crap but check out the Payout!

-

You can also plug it in and out VERY easy without damaging rollers or the arm. Speaking of the arm, these "Guards" are also very helpful when dealing with sticking layers.

Max

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-13-2004 03:05 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have a picture or technical drawing of these fancy keeper rollers?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-13-2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the MUT: The vertical AW3 MUT is pretty good. As crazy as it sounds, I'd love to see a footpedal speed control in addition to the knob; this would make breakdowns faster and easier. It would also be nice to have an easier way to switch between 1/2" and 5/16" shafts without needing a screwdriver to remove the screw that holds the shaft. I'd personally prefer a MUT that is slightly larger than the AW3 version (to give more space for splicer, head and tail leaders, bands, etc.), but I'm sure that others will say that the AW3 MUT is too big.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-13-2004 03:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Access panels so that hands can reach in and grab/hold things inside the column or support arms.

The AW MUT is great. Not sure about the foot pedal -- perhaps as an optional attachment?

I like the rollers around that payout head in the photo (above) but not the payout head itself. It's just plain ugly!

I agree with Brad's take on having all those rewind cluster rollers. The slider is the better solution but I have to wonder about how similar this "new" platter can be to an AW3R before it becomes a legal problem.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 03:52 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the 5/16 shaft with a 1/2" sleeve to screw onto it?

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 05:03 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a look at the center feed plate design.

-

I'm liking the Ernemann/Kinoton guide arm guards idea - we'll look at working that in.

Scott - 35mm only.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: