Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need thread info on Strong MUT

Author Topic: Need thread info on Strong MUT
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 11:45 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to get a customers existing reels to work nicely with the Strong MUT, as supplied with the Alpha platter I need to re position the tapped holes in P/N 1534 Table Make Up Spindle Assembly, for the P/N 1311 Table Reel Drive Pin. Drilling and tapping is not a problem, if I know what the thread is! Needless to say it's about the only thread they don't define in the manual, there's none within sensible measuring distance of me, and none of the email addresses on Strongs website appears to be working!

If anyone knows or has one handy they could measure, answers on a postcard to the usual address would be gratefully recieved!

Pete

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-13-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a 12-24 thread but you can't hold me to that since it's not on a postcard.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 04:45 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Daryl!

I take it that means 10-24 UNC? A 'non preffered' thread in these parts! Oh joy, that'll mean I probably don't have a tap for it then... Will have to raid the old mans collection in the morning.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 05:00 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, UNC, don't ya love it. If you've got to borrow the taps you might as well grab the entire set (around that size), since I could be mistaken.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That plan has already been hatched.......... Actually I must order up a set of UNC and UNF taps for myself before they become even harder to get than they are now.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-13-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know...10-24 and 12-24 are NOT the same threads. 12-24 is more rare nowadays though it still comes up.

I would verify the size before haul off and purchase something.

Steve

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops, I didn't even see that Pete said 10-24. If it's not the 12-24, I think some of the newer MUTs might be using 10-32 threads. It's been a while since I've had to tap any of these MUTs, and even then I just grabbed the one that fit. [Embarrassed]

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 07:43 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am not entirely sure the thread, I often take one to the local Lowe's or Home Depot. They usually have a board with inserts that you can try the peg to see which is correct. So far I have never come across one that I couldn't identify this way

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 04:27 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duh! Sorry Daryl I should cut and paste.

I'm about to depart for mum and dads place, where I know the old man has various sets of about every tap and die you can think of and some most of us can't. These will be temporarily placed in my car, and returned once I've sorted this MUT out. After that I intend to procure some for myself. Thanks for the info [Smile]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2004 03:32 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1/4" x 20 UNC is the answer to that one.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-15-2004 08:40 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I blew that one. [Embarrassed] Some much for my memory working. I guess at least I got the right thread form.

(Shut up Phil!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: