Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak Advanced Projection Training

Author Topic: Kodak Advanced Projection Training
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 01-13-2004 06:26 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here been to the Kodak Projection Training? I am thinking about attending, but I am not sure if it is worth it or not. It seems like it covers quite a bit, but I am not sure. I am trying to learn as much as I can, so I can work on the equipment at the theater I work at(5 Star Cinema, Corpus Christi, Texas, Independently owned) and the other theaters under the same ownership. What would you guys suggest that I do to gain some experience? One of our employees already tried to train with our technician, but there was an issue with the tech having the time to train someone. Any suggestions would be helpful.

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-13-2004 11:15 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who are interested:

Dolby's next Cinema Training Seminar (CTS) to take place in February, 2004 (2/2 thru 2/5).

I attended the last one (October 2003 in Boston) and found it to be a worthwhile investment. CTS provides an excellent and invaluable opportunity to learn directly from Dolby representatives. The event also creates a forum for technicians to meet and share their experiences. We were encouraged to share our ideas/suggestions for future upgrades and got some free stuff in return.

A certificate is issued upon completion of the seminar.

The upcoming CTS is being held in San Francisco which, I suspect, means it could (or should) be enhanced by the proximity to Dolby's facility there. I was tempted to go again but decided to wait for a new product introduction before going again.

Call Dolby Marketing if you are interested in attending. I realize this is coming as last-minute notice but perhaps there are still a few spaces available.

At the very least, you can sign up to be notified of future CTS offerings.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Entertatinment Equipment Corp offers CTC Cinema Training Central in Buffalo.
There is a advanced technical seminar in probably may
call 1800 448 1656 for more info or the web site
http://www.eecnow.com

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of the middle of last week Dolby still had room...

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-13-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike -- Does that mean you are going?

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'll be there, anyone else going?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-14-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Entertainment Equipment training a few months ago. I can only recommend it to you, as it is not too far away from you, and some of the training is actually supervised by Gordon McLeod himself. The great thing about this seminar is that it is not focused on one subject, you can basically do whatever comes up or what you need - or what Gordon will allow you to do to the equipment!

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The training conducted by Kodak in Australia in the past has been first rate. I would recommend you attend, as they certainly have expertise in 35mm projection. The various publications over the years by Kodak, Film Notes etc, have valuable information for both the trainee and experienced projectionist. I still use many tips gathered from Kodak materials and training sessions every night and this is my 22nd year in the projection room.

David

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-14-2004 02:18 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some other threads:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003851#000008

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004964#000012

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 01-20-2004 09:17 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to thank everyone who provided info for me.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended Kodak Advanced training in June of 2002. I learned a lot of valuable information, but it may have been better for beginning technicians. Much of the information learned must be practiced and I don't have the equipment necessary such as an osciliscope. It did help me learn troubleshooting techniques, as well as better maintenance of my equipment. I definately feel I am a better projectionist as a result. My presentation has improved. It is also where I learned about Film-Tech.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: