Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Converting to 1/2" spindles

Author Topic: Converting to 1/2" spindles
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had any success converting 5/16" reels to 1/2"?

I'm switching over my reel arms, and just bought some new hour reels. I still have some 20 min Goldbergs I'd like to be able to use. Is it easier and cheaper just to buy new (or used) ones, or can the conversion be easily done?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are the cast alumionum 2000' reels the centre can be bored out by a machine shop

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are the house reels with the steel center can't that just be driven out and replaced with a larger one? I often tap on mine to recenter them so it seems like they'd come out easily enough.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically the 1/2" reels that I use have "drive dog" holes, unlike the 5/16 the use a keyed shaft. You can knock out the adapter in the cast reels as suggested, but you also have to drill a slightly larger that 1/4" hole so the drive dog pin will fit into it. Maybe they make keyed shaft 1/2" units but I've never seen one.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 02:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the cast reels since he does say 2000' house reels have a recesed area around the insert that the drive dog will line up with and drive
The only reason I sujest get a shop to do it rather than drilling it out is that the key will grab your bit and probably make it drill of square and that will give you a wobling reel
Never had any luck pressing out the insert as it was pressfitted in in the first place

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-11-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The older Goldberg cast reels do not have the drive dog "notch," so this may be a problem. The newer reels do have it, even if they also have 5/16" keyed shafts.

Personally, I hate the 1/2" shafts. Unless you _always_ run 6000' reels or have a huge pile of large-shaft reels, you may want to think twice about switching. In theory, the 5/16" shafts are more likely to get bent or otherwise damaged, but I've never seen this problem myself, even at places that usually run 6000' reels.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-11-2004 10:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Scott...I can' t back you up on that one...if you run 6K reels...go with 1/2" (12.7mm). As to the difference between the 5/16 and 1/2" Goldberg cast reels is not only removing the insert but there is a 1/2" bronze insert that should be placed in the hole...I don't like the 1/2" 20 min. cast reels...

Some reel arms/projectors allow for a reasonably fast change between the various spindle sizes and this is really the way to go.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-11-2004 11:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Scott here. I've yet to see a bent 5/16" shaft and having to ALWAYS wind film over onto 1/2" house reels is a major pain in the butt. I use 5/16" for everything and have yet to have a problem.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-12-2004 01:09 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve. I have seen enough bent 5/15" shafts to know that 1/2" for large reels are necessary. Usually it's the takeup arm shaft but if you've got short operators a bent feed arm shaft is more common.

Since you have to wind the shipping reels onto large reels anyway, the winding everything over thing is pretty much a non-issue. Sure you'll have some film come in directly from another theatre on 5/16" shaft 6000's, but that's life.

Of course if you're only using 2000' reels 1/2" shafts aren't necessary.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: