Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Laptop connections

Author Topic: Laptop connections
Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this has been discussed please let me know where...

I use an old Compaq Armada with W98 for Dolby 650, Dolby Reader, SDDS and Load500. I just got a new Dell 5150 with XP Home and no serial port, how much can I use it for these functions and what is the best way to hook up a serial cable?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-10-2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has indeed been discussed ad nauseam. The best way to hook up a serial cable is to plug it in the serial connector.
Get the Keyspan adapter.
Once you have it, use the configuration tool to map the adapter to one of the ports the setup software recognizes for connection.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2004 07:39 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may need USB to serial adapters.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ordered the Keyspan USB to serial adapter recommended by Michael. Also I did some further software specific searching on the site and from what I can tell, 650 Setup and Reader software will probably run on my system and Load500 will not. SDDS DFP3000 maybe? I would probably keep using my old laptop anyway for some of the stuff and prefer not to partition my hard drive if possible just for this. Thanks everyone and if you have more to add, let me know...

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-10-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Load500 will almost always work. You often have to run the software in slave mode when transfering data from the CP though.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-10-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SDDS website has a version of the 3000 software for XP.

Alan Haigh
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Alan Haigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a similar topic. I've just ordered a pair of these little puppies -

http://www.omniinstruments.co.uk/radiotel/HPS120.pdf

wireless RS232 adaptors. They could change my life forever if they work. No more long cables - and the German "no hole through the projection room wall 70 year old fire regulations" nightmare may at last be overcome. Will report back if they work.

Alan

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early next week I am going to test Microsoft's Virtual PC 2004 running inside XP Pro and Pcmcia to Serial adapter.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used virtual PC 2004 with XP and it works flawlessly. I have two virtual machines set up. WIN98SE and DOS6.22. It even runs the THX R2 software without any problems! Also tried VPC with the Keyspan USB adaptor, once again, no problems.

PLEASE NOTE!
To anyone with XP. Load500 does work, but only to download and save settings. If you try to upgrade the software you WILL fry the ROM chips. (this is not a maybe, it WILL fry them) However, with VPC2004 and win98 or DOS, no problems.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-17-2004 06:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XP likes to muck around with the hardware's output voltage levels. Putting a 100 ohm resistor on each line might prevent the sweet, sweet smell o' silicon.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-18-2004 03:28 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does that XP do that?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
because it is winDOZe and microsquat thinks it owns the computor world [fu]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 01-19-2004 12:03 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume it was changed so that it acts more like a USB port.

I would also assume that whoever designed the serial interface in the CP didn't actually read the standards for PC serial ports since, if I'm not mistaken, even under XP the output levels are still within limits. In all likelihood they just made sure it worked with some 486 running some version of MS-DOS.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2004 03:57 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Fry" might not be an acurate description. As Ken from Dolby explained it: After erasing the EEPROMs, the program will hang when trying to write the new code to the EEPROMs...so you will have two blank chips. The CP-500 will power on but you will have a blank screen and all of the softkey LEDs will be on giving you...one brain-dead CP-500!!
[thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: