Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is Anyone Playing The "Passion Of The Christ" Trailer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is Anyone Playing The "Passion Of The Christ" Trailer?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-10-2004 01:43 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received a couple of these 45 second teasers, but haven't been instructed to put them on anything yet. It'll be interesting to see if we ever will with all the controversy surrounding the film.

Has anyone else added this trailer to their lineup on anything?

BTW, if you're curious, you can view the trailer online at:
http://www.passionofthechrist.com/

|  IP: Logged

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings All from Cambridge

Being a research facility as opposed to a commercial cinema we do not play trailers, unless we are asked to look at various aspects of QC of the prints. In short, no, we are not playing the trailers.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-10-2004 03:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings from Denver!

I will try to contribute as much to the discussion as David did:

I am not currently working in the cinema. So no, I am not playing the trailer.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-10-2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the trailer but -- just like you -- I'm not running it until I know that the movie is booked.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-10-2004 04:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not long enough to even count as a trailer. In fact it is so short it reminds me of rolling stock, so no I am not playing the trailer.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-10-2004 04:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did "rolling stock" get its name?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-10-2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard the term before coming here but I don't ordinarily work at regular theatres. Rolling because it's film rolling through the projector but is there non-rolling stock it must be differentiated from?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-10-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slides, perhaps?

But why "stock"? If they mean "film stock," it wouldn't really apply to slides, as I've never heard anyone refer to a dupe transparancy as "stock."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-10-2004 10:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I have ever heard the term "rolling stock" was back at the UA Greenwood when we experimented with running "slides" on film instead of real slides (this was before we had any slide projectors). The still ads would do cross fades and wipes into eachother, but no real motion. Later when we began putting ads and PSAs (public service announcements) before the trailers, we called them ads and PSA's.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have it running on our copy of Last Samurai and have been instructed to take Big Fish off of all prints and replace it with "The Passion". Considering we are a mile or so from Notre Dame, I sure hope we get the film. But something tells me the junky theater across town will get it because they get almost all the limited releases. Doh!

AJG

Micheal Turlock
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 12:19 AM      Profile for Micheal Turlock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am playing "The Passion of the Christ" teaser on "Cold Mountain". I have not yet had a complaint - it's been playing over a week. I have heard people talking about it finally getting too see what the entertainment tonight people are always talking about. I am excitded to see this film too.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 12:22 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to start pestering the booker about it. We were told to just replace big fish on Cold mountain with it. I might be mistaken but isn't the whole movie spoken in the hebrew language. Plenty of reading if so.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-11-2004 01:07 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly Hebrew, but Aramaic which was a closely related language. Aramaic widely replaced Hebrew as the language spoken by the common people in the last centuries BC while Hebrew continued to be spoken more by the religious establishment and the upper class. Jesus and the disciples are believed to have spoken Aramaic. And then, of course, there will be Latin for the bad guys.
Initially there was talk of the movie not being subtitled. Are they still going to do it this way?

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 04:34 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we are playing the "teaser" trailer on several screens at our theatre. No complaints etc yet.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only play trailers for movies we are going to show, and after talking to the distrib this week, looks like we aren't.

It appears they are going wide release on it (2000-2500 prints) which seems to me they are counting on a big opening weekend before the fear of subtitles makes everyone flee the multiplex.

The film is in Aramaic, Latin and Greek. Originally Mel said it would be unsubtitled, but the preview prints he was showing around to try and manufacture a reverse Last Temptation controversy were subtitled. I assume with 2000 prints, they're going with subtitles.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: