Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Scope Repair

Author Topic: Scope Repair
Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 04:12 AM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were could I get the focus on my Tektronix scope repaired?
[uhoh]

|  IP: Logged

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 05:58 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Oplink Solutions (formerly called Instrument Repair Service). I always get first class work from them. Their facility is in Norcross, GA

Call 1-800-826-3759

Here is their website, but it is new and not much is there.

Oplink Solutions

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-09-2004 08:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model TEK scope are you using? And what effect do you get when you try to use the focus knob? If at all possible do not ship your scope to a repair center, but deliver it in person. It WILL be expensive to have repaired if it can be repaired. If its the CRT thats bad there are no more CRT's available from Tektronix....in fact very few if any parts are available for the older CRT based scopes directly from them. You pretty much have to get another scope, same model, just for the parts.
Mark @ CLACO

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-09-2004 08:50 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I use Oplink Solutions (formerly called Instrument Repair Service).
Man, I'm glad they changed their name! Who would've known they worked on test equipment with that old moniker?
[Wink]

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, it's a 2235, works fine other than I can't get the focus sharp.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-09-2004 06:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is most likely the CRT that is bad in the 2235. The later TEK scopes were not well liked mainly because of the general poor quality of CRT's. This quality decline started after they discontinued making the 465B series of scopes which was the last really quality portable they turned out. I had a late model TEK 2200 series scope...can't remember the model but I gave it to Josh on the forums here. I was never happy with the trace that scope gave even from day one. The earlier TEK CRT's are much much better and can give a razor sharp trace when they are set up properly. The best of the best as far as trace sharpness goes to those early 5" TEK tube type scopes. Sometimes those things are sharp as a needle point!

BTW: Your scope uses a part# 154-0861-00 Tektronix CRT. You might contact Sphere Research in Canada to see if they have any. They are the largest source for TEK parts.
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/index.html

I would also reccomend joining the Yahoo TEK Scopes group. You may also be able tog et alot of help and suggestions there. This group REALLY carries some weight to it. It is run and moderated by retired factory Tektronix scope engineers.

Mark @ CLACO

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 07:10 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your scope have an astigmatism (sp) control? You may need to tweek it a little (it affects focus). Sometimes the control is on the back or side of the scope. I own a few of the older Tek scopes, and realy like them. Today everyone is more interested in the bottom line, then in building a quality product.

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 10:00 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone, I've contacted Oplink but they haven't called back.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-13-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've made repeated calls that have gone unreturned its quite possible that they may know that any serious repair to that scope is a dead end and would be a waste of their time and your money. In reality a place like that needs to be able to pick up the phone and order what ever part they need to make it right. Unfortunately thats not possible for many of the CRT type TEK scopes any longer.

Today I noticed the Horiz Var. control on my 465B was loose so I opened it up to tighten the coupling on the shaft. Luckily nothing came loose and fell into the power supply which is right next to and below that that coupling.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-13-2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I deal with JOLA Instruments in toronto ontario canada good work but you would need to arrange international shipping and brokerage

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 01-15-2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, that scope you gave me still works great, good enough for FM work anyway [Smile]

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-15-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the prices of used good quality oscilloscopes, it might be cheaper to bag the old one and get a used one, especially if the CRT is shot.

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2004 04:10 AM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newer scopes aren't very portable yet, what has happen to
the minature scope?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: