Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm New Prints

Author Topic: 16mm New Prints
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 03:18 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. Since I live in Cyprus, a small tiny itsy bitsy weenie Island in the Carribeans!!! (yeah right) in the Mediterranean Sea, we only have 35mm prints arriving to the distribution companies here. Where can I find distribution for 16mm prints. What if someone (like me for example) wants to buy NEW 16mm of latest films (after two years of releas) prints for personal use?? Anyone has any idea??
Thanks in advace
Demetris Thoupis

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
Being a projectionist is not a profession. Its an ART

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 08:17 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't comment on Cyprus, but in the US Swank is really the only source left to rent 16mm prints, and the number of prints struck is so low that not too many make it to the collector market. In fact, some of the ones that do are even bandsawed to make them virtually worthless. There are a handfull of dealers who occasionally deal in newer titles, usually through semi-private lists, and then there are the major outlets for public sales of 16mm features, principally ebay and The Big Reel, a monthly tabloid style publication. Overall, there's lots of 16mm material still out there, but the overwhelming majority of it originated as television prints for syndication use rather than non-theatrical rentals, and that virtually ended in the 1980's so you can pretty much forget about picking up a telephone and ordering a print of Lord of the Rings. If you want newer titles you're far more likely to find them in 35mm. For older classics, on the other hand, 16mm is far easier. Good luck.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 08:57 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to Swank, Criterion is alive and well in the US.
Criterion Pictures USA
As far as 16mm, I just booked a 16mm print of "LOTR: Return of the King" for showing at the end of March. So it's not dead yet.

But Jeff's right in that 16mm popularity is declining rapidly. Video will take that over soon. Criterion will only have about a dozen prints of "Return of the King" for rental. As far as buying one, not likely.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-12-2004 01:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm is pretty much gone as a release format in the UK. About the only prints still being shown are archive viewing copies and privately owned prints. Super 16 is still being used to a small extent for origination in high-budget TV production. But even there, the negative is now telecined as soon as it comes out of the developing machine and all subsequent editing and post-production is done digitally.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest you try major distributors incountries close by such as Greece, Italy, France or even Turkey. You will find 16mm prints available in those markets for hire. They will also most likely have networks of collectors withtitles for sale.

In Australia, all major releases are still available on 16mm through the two majors Roadshow and Columbia. There are also collector networks both on line and in publications.

David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: