Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What causes static? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What causes static?
R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 10:32 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if this has been discussed in the 220 odd pages of this forum.

I am just curious how static suddenly arrives in a print after over a week of a static free run. Print has not been moved or damaged in any way. This has happened a couple times through the years, but I have never understood why. None of my booths have been overly dry or full of static. I keep things very clean and as dust free as possible.

This always seems to have a source bubble as well, all static originating from one location on the film. This is not frequent by any means, but it just occurred tonight on Cheaper by the Dozen and made me think to ask. No damage occured as projectionist was babysitting the print. Last time I can remember was We Were Soldiers at my previous location.

Thanks for any input.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 10:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a gut feeling that the recent very cold weather in the Midwest has resulted in a significant lowering of your projection room humidity. When it's below 0F outside, the humidity inside can drop into the teens. MEASURE your humidity with an accurate gauge, and use an evaporative humidifier if necessary.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-08-2004 11:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That, and also replace those bent center rings. What kind of platter system are you using?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-09-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been a party to past postings on the subject of static generation, but it is this man's opinion that the last person on earth who understood the true nature of electrostatic energy was Mr. Tesla. The rest of us mere mortals can only flail away at keeping it at bay.

As Ming the Merciless stated in the 1980 Flash Gordon, "Pathetic Earthlings, who can save you now?

I feel better already.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-09-2004 02:38 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 02:41 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That, and also replace those bent center rings.
How does that cause static? Tonight, on our Peter Pan print, we suddenly had a static problem & it does have a bent center ring. [uhoh]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-09-2004 02:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The bent center ring doesn't cause the static, but it's the reason multiple layers of film are being pulled in to the brain. (That and the fact that if you have static you are not using FG.)

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-09-2004 07:41 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, although Mr. tesla taught us all we know about A/C power and most of what we know about RF systems... he really didn't have much time for DC electricity; electrostatic charges are entirely DC. Tesla did invent something he called a "static eliminator", it looks a bit like a desk microphone stand and is full of tuned circuits. He never explained it and nobody has apparently figured it out, but it has something to do with high frequency AC rather than our difficulty with static charges and sticky film.
Perhaps Mr. Edison, with his unshakeable faith in D/C, could help us here?

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 10:36 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have strong platter systems, everything was new in April when we opened, no rings are bent, but that has caused problems at other locations. What level of humidity is ideal in the booth?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-09-2004 11:07 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ideally 50% at 22C

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-09-2004 11:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Check where the leader is tucked into the Strong ring. Odds are you will notice a bit of a bulge there. Atmospheric conditions will then aggravate that part of the print on payout.

The better solution is to drill new holes in your platters and use Christie rings. [Big Grin]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-09-2004 09:01 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Dave is correct in the larger sense. For instance, RF has both an electrostatic and electro magnetic component. In shielding cables non ferrous metals are useful in interrupting electrostatic fields, but ineffective with electro magnetic fields, thus Mu metal and such are used in our trade to shield mag heads.

As it pertains to a film charge it appears to be a large capacitor and thus DC.

Tesla worked for Edison for a time and considered him hopelessly stupid. Telsa's insight far exceeded Edison's and in Edison's case, it was 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration.

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As Ming the Merciless stated in the 1980 Flash Gordon, "Pathetic Earthlings, who can save you now?
Actually, that was only in the trailer. Didn't make the actual cut in the film.

Don't see too many quotes from that movie. I actually love it. Seen it a thousand times. lol. The Queen soundtrack doesn't hurt it any either.

Ming: "Clitus I'm boooored. What plaything can you offer me today?"

Clitus: "An obscure body in the SK system Your Majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the... Planet Eaaaaarth."

Ming: "How peaceful it looks."

Clitus: "Will you destroy this... Eaaaaarth?"

Ming" "LATER! I like to play with things awhile... before annihilation. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!"

I love it. LOL

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-10-2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right about the quote. Made a great tag line.

I did some of the research screenings for Dolby in Scottsdale.

Loved the erotic scene in the cockpit.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-10-2004 12:15 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a great film! Todd AO35 blown up to 70mm.

The erotic scenes in "Flesh Gordon" were much better, Sam. [Wink]

quote:
Telsa's insight far exceeded Edison's and in Edison's case, it was 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration.

Absolutely! Tesla was a genius. Edison was waaaay over-rated. He had talented people working for him, but he hogged all the "credit". Not to say he didn't have some good ideas and inventions, just in general... [thumbsdown]

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: