Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vic 5 difference (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vic 5 difference
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 01:31 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
not having much to do with Cinemeccanica until recently I was curious as to the main differences between the Vic 5 and Vic 8 .
I was also curious as to how noisy the Viv 5's are , Most of my projection career has always been with very old machines from the 60's that run very quiet.

Regards
Phil

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-08-2004 01:42 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
V5's are pretty quiet machines. Much quieter than Super Simplexes and other machines that Phil loves so much. [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 01:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main difference is that the Vic 5 is belt-driven whereas the Vic 8 has direct transmission. There are 35mm only and 35/70 versions of the Vic 8, but the Vic 5 is a 35mm only machine.

The big advantage of the Vic 5's belt driven design is that is very easy to repair and maintain: all you need is common sense and a set of Allen keys. Spare parts are readily available and cheap, too (in the UK at least: I don't know what the situation is in Australia). The payback is in picture stability, hence nicknames such as 'Shakemeccanica' and 'The Rubber Band Machine'. They can deliver an acceptable to very good picture, but regular maintenance (e.g. belt changes) is essential.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-08-2004 01:49 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Metric allen keys. [Smile]

The new curved gates produce a pretty steady image. If you're stuck with the older straight gate, frame the intermittent to the top of its travel and leave it there. Image steadiness shouldn't be a problem.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like all machines if not abused they are a very servicable machine and very reliable user freindly and quiet and very gentle on film

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd add that the V8 is MUCH quieter than the V5. Running a print with FilmGuard on the V8 sometimes causes me to do a double-take and make sure there's still film running. [Smile]

All our V5's are pretty quiet, except for one which sounds like the film is made of cardboard. You can even hear it in the auditorium plain as day. This one also has the most unsteady picture out of all of them in the complex. Any ideas? Belt change?

Agreed that they're one of the easier projectors to maintain, but it sucks that they don't have a simple knob to adjust shutter timing.

=TMP=

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 09:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When one changes the belts and set the red dots up there is no timing issues also the timing instructions are farely simple as well
If the machine is noisy probably the shutter gearbox is on its way out and need replaceing

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 10:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that if the mechanism is a tad gungy, wipe all the shafts so that the timing marks are clearly visible before removing the secondary belt. You can then see to fit the new one without having to retime the shutter, as Gordon describes.

Agreed that shutter timing is a bit of a pain, though.

As for a noisy Vic 5, as well as a knackered shutter gearbox I'd check to see if the gate pressure is set too high, if there are any worn or hooked sprocket teeth, if the oil level is OK and if any bearings are on their way out. Changing the belts certainly can't do any harm, and they're so cheap that if you've exhausted everything else (or if the current belts have been on for more than 3 months or so), I'd do it on spec.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input.

The Vic 5's I am using (3 in total) are brand new only a few months old , all 3 are noisy and can be heard in the lobby , when compared to the Kalee 21 I last operated the Kalee would be the quietest machine I have ever used.
I must add the picture stability seems to be fine with the Vic 5.

Phil

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the gate tension is set to high if they are new and noisy. The two thumb screws on the front of the gate adjust it top and bottom. Should run well with them nearly all the way out.

Do they run quite with no film in them??????
if so it must be a film path issue, are the pad rollers turning? they shouldn't be. They should be set two film thickness's away from the sprockets.

On a Vic 8 you find that the lamphouse fans make more noise than the projector running.

Darren

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The numbers of Vic 5's sold should speak for itself.... It's a very simple machine to do any repairs on and can quite easily become a 'New' machine by the simple replacement of all its componets. Timeing the shutter is very simple, remove two screws to remove the dowser cover and you can adjust the shutter itself. Providing the shutter has been set with the registration dots lined up then its a one off job.

As with all the Vic's they are a belt and braces technology machine. Very durable and easy to maintain. Not as good to look at as a Kinoton but not held back by too much electronics to go wrong.

As for noisy, if that's the case then it's time to check pad roller clearance on the intermittent sproket. Make sure it's two thickness of film and not riding hard against the film. An easy way to check is to make a loop in the normal overlap fashion and run it thru the projector. Rest a finger on the pad roller and if you can feel a definate knock as the join passes then you need to increase the clearence and visa versa.

Gate tension should be at its minimum to give a stabe picture PLUS 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Check the lateral guie roller and side pushers for correct operation. Also check for wear on the runner plate itself and the pressure skates.

All of this assumes the machine is quiet when running with no film! If not then as Gordon says the shutter gear box may be on its way out, a comon problem with the earlier Vic 5's. I would always advise running a Vic 5 from an inverter to give smooth Run Ups and Run Downs which extends the life considerably.

Out of 9 Vic 5's I have one that is noisy.... nothing wrong with it it's just noisy...... it happens.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again guys. The machines are still quite noisy even with no film running through them , they seem to have a high pitch whine and then the chatter when film is running through them.

I am concerned about the shutter gearbox , after inspecting the 3 machines two of them have grease oozing out of I guess a breather on the top of the gearboxes!
I gather these gearboxes are seal and non repairable ?

Phil

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 01-09-2004 06:37 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shutter box has a large screw at the top for refilling and repairs. In operation the grease flings away from the gear teeth so lubrication is not 100% but enough to keep it within specifications. The newer shutter gear teeth are metal versus nylon so the box is more noisy;they encase the box in a rubber cover. It is best to check lubrication at least twice a year. For timing you have the witness marks and the shutter and intermittent timing gears to match. If your intermittent or shutter box has been exchanged your witness marks may not match so you should note this prior to changing belts.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-09-2004 08:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Richard said, also...

There are smooth aluminum "rollers" that buttress the drive belt against both the intermittent unit and the shutter box drive gears (total of 3, non-ball bearing). Note, these are actually "keepers"; they should not be set so close to the belt that they actually roll. They should be very, very close, but that's it; not rolling when the unit is running. I usually set it so they contact the belt just enough to roll when I crank the motor by hand, and then back them off about 1/4 the thickness of the belt (that is, the base or "valley" part of the belt, not the teeth). That way, they serve their purpose of keeping the belt from hopping off the gears during startup, but don't spin continuously.

Setting them in this manner will eliminate a good deal of noise. It's an easy adjustment. You loosen the hex head screw in the center, and then the whole roller can be moved in all directions.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2004 09:31 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God, I hope it's not ANOTHER shutter gear box!! Before we reopened the theater, it had been sitting with no A/C running in the hot, humid Florida weather. After a few weeks of operation, the rusted shutter gear box went during a show. [Frown]

I checked gate presure, that belt "roller" (one of our machines sounded like a buzzsaw and hesitated on startup -- that "roller" was the problem), sprocket teeth, and oil level. Next to do I guess would be to check the pad rollers, belts, and bearings. It's noiser than the others, but even noiser with film going through it.

Sounds like a shutter gear box is about to go on our V8, too. If the projector has been sitting for a while (like overnight), then it has a "WWWWWHhhhhhhrrrrrrrRRRRWWWWWWwwhhhhhrrrrr" and the shutter ghost on-screen is in sync with the rhythem of the whirring. This all goes away after a few minutes. This projector is also leaking oil profusely out of that stupid sight glass at the top, but we keep an eye on the levels. It amazes me, based on the number of different machines I have worked with that projector manufacurers can make a precision device for showing film but can't make a damn sight glass that doesn't leak!!!

As for the one with the travel ghost problem, that's the one that had its gear box changed.
Richard -- So are you basically saying if the marks were not lined up when the gear box was changed, that they shouldn't line up next time you change the belts? (rather, be in the same position they are?)

Thanks!
=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: