Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie Mini Wind

Author Topic: Christie Mini Wind
Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-07-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in a situation in a multi-use projection room where there may be insufficient room for an AW3. The nominal capacity of a Mini is said to be 135 minutes. There are a number of films in current release that exceed this.

I believe this was for acetate film. What is the true capacity of the mini wind for Polyester film?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-08-2004 12:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the diameter of the decks? 44 inches or something? I can measure some prints and give you a darned good estimate if someone can verify the actual size of the decks.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the assistance. Mini wind disks are 40 inches diameter.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-08-2004 01:06 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have space problems, why not use large reels?
 -
With the 5000m version, you should be in good shape for 3h or so. OK, you have to rewind the reel, but the location you are talking about doesn`t sound like a multiplex.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-08-2004 01:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like your max time will be roughly 2hours 30 minutes to 2 hours 40 minutes, depending on how close you want to get.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-08-2004 02:46 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could swear that the MW3 decks were 42" diameter.

'Amistad' (a polyester print that clocks in at 2h32m without trailers) fits on a MW3 with about 1/2" of space remaining on the edge.

Additionally, if it a used MW3, make damned certain it is a new(er) one that is built like a scaled-down AW3 (using the same parts as an AW3). The early MW3's that have all the components (except the motor control cards) on a single 'motherboard' are no longer supported by Christie, the parts (like the motherboard) are NOT available from them, and the motherboards catch fire and self-destruct if there is a catastrophic failure of a motor or controller card. I have had this happen twice, it isn't pretty.

-Aaron

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2004 07:04 AM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron is correct on all counts. 42". 2.5hrs.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-08-2004 08:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some manufacturers that also offer 48" (nominal) decks. In some ways I much prefer them to the standard 52" decks since they are easier to reach the centerfeeds. Strong/Potts, Kinoton and I believe Big Sky offer the smaller (but not tiny) decks.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 09:38 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ernamann makes the model15 with large underslung reels

-

Also the freestanding sidewinder

-

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-08-2004 09:46 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, here is the formula for calculating roll diameter if you know the film thickness and length:

quote:
35mm triacetate print film had a nominal base thickness of 0.0056 inches (142 microns). Kodak VISION Color Print Film (ESTAR) base has a nominal thickness of 0.0047 inches (119 microns). Print film emulsion thickness is about 0.0006 inches (15 microns).
The roll diameter can be calculated from the following equation:

D = Squareroot [ ( (48 x L x t) / Pi) + (C x C) ]

Where:
D is roll diameter in inches
L is length of film roll in feet
t is film thickness in inches (about 0.0053 for Kodak VISION Color Print film on ESTAR base)
C is core/hub diameter in inches
Pi is 3.14159...

So for a shipping reel with a 4-inch core, and a film thickness of 0.0053 inches, 2000 feet of film will have the following diameter:

D = Squareroot [ ( (48 x 2000 x 0.0053) / Pi) + (4 x 4) ]

= 13.3 inches

2600 feet of film will (over)fill the same shipping reel to 15.1 inches diameter.

One of the reasons for the conversion to thinner polyester film in the early 1990's was the increasing number of longer features that would not completely fit on mini-platters or some large-reel systems. Kevin Costner's "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" comes to mind.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: