Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Trailer Checker (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Trailer Checker
Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 02:06 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello friends,

Has anyone there heard of a Trailer Checker - someone employed by one or more distribs whose job it is to go around to cinemas and see which trailers are playing?

I ask this because a certain manager (call him Mr. D) at the independent house I work at is always telling me the Trailer Checker came by and asked why such-and-such a trailer wasn't playing before such-and-such a picture.

I asked the owner whether he'd ever heard of this. He said Mr. D is always telling him the same story, though he's never met a Trailer Checker personally and suspects, as I do, that this is a fantasy that D. made up so he can get his way (he is sort of a control freak - but I have the trump card in that I'm the only one who can actually do the splicing and dicing involved in trailer placement, so I don't always follow his suggestions).

Thanks, No Fool in Boston.

|  IP: Logged

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 02:14 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we get some trailer checkers out here. They have quite the easy of job of just watching trailers all day! [Smile]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-06-2004 02:25 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Virginia!

There is a trailer checker.

You better watch out!

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-06-2004 03:16 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The few that I have met are very profesional. I've never had any of them ask why such and such isnt playing with a certain film. They just come in, write down the trailers, and leave.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-06-2004 03:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only times I have run into someone that was 'checking' trailers was the guy that was also the 'film checker' that was getting a head count, etc for that particular feature- they also listed in their report what trailers were playing with the feature. I have NEVER had anyone connected to a distributor question any of my trailer placements on a film.

-Aaron

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-06-2004 07:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I did THX Theatre Alignment Program (TAP) theatre evaluations, the evaluation form usually asked for a listing of the trailers playing.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-06-2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certified Reports, Inc. Kinderhook, NY

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 10:33 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we have an older couple that checks a feature every month, or so. They've always been polite and friendly people.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 10:36 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WE have them, they always get on my nerves because they dont understand that we sync prints and move prints througout the night. So they always tell corporate wrong information.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 10:55 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our 16 plex we average a checker a weekend. Most of the time the just are there to check trailers, but sometimes are there to veryify number or people in a certain feature. They never question anything - nor do they know what it is they are looking for (what trailers are in question). I know this because I know one of them personally. But they always seem to have a letter from the distributors allowing them to do the check.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess these people do exist, but Mr. D is stretching things when he claims they have an interest on what trailers go where.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 02:05 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have one come so often, she seems like a regular at our place. I always have a conversation with her when she stops by. I can't imagine they get paid much for this duty though.

AJG

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-06-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mr. D is stretching things when he claims they have an interest on what trailers go where.
Don't be so certain!

What movie were they allegedly checking trailers on?

I think it was LOTR 3 that came with a whole bunch of trailers and a note stating a certain trailer had to be the first "non competitive" trailer (?) and that there would be trailer checkers. So, it seems that there is a concern about making sure that trailers are playing on certain movies -- and also in some cases the sequence in which they are shown.

If you ask me I'd say that's going a little bit too far into micromanagement of the trailers. Maybe if they're going to get that picky about it they should just attach the entire slate of trailers instead of enclosing them or sending them loose.

Another specific example: Back when the first teaser for "The Phantom Menace" was issued, we were told that it could only run ahead of "Meet Joe Black" (?) and no other movie.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2004 03:16 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer checkers seem to be quite common in the LA area (for obvious reasons), and they are taken very seriously.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2004 03:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe if they're going to get that picky about it they should just attach the entire slate of trailers instead of enclosing them or sending them loose.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Mad] Are you going insane on us Manny? You KNOW that no depot can make a proper splice when assembling trailers, and the labs seem to fuck it up too! It's always cheap tape, hinging splices, sometimes out-of-frame, and most importantly...they chop the film in the wrong place for the theater to be able to fix it!

Sorry, but when I get a manually attached trailer and it was not put on the print properly to the point where I can fix it due to either having handling marks on it or being cut in the wrong place, it is considered damaged film and goes straight in the trash. No ifs ands or butts. I does not get played.

Same thing goes for the opening logo on reel 1. If the soundtrack has been cut due to some bonehead trying to attach a trailer, I check to see if the opening studio's logo is silent. If so the quick fix is to cut it off of the feature entirely. If there is audio going on or it transitions into the feature, reel 1 is replaced. Damaged film is damaged film.

I will however happily put on any new trailer from that studio that is sent loose on it's own core that is requested of me. When the studios respect my presentation by not permitting anyone else to cut the print, I respect their wishes and play whatever they request.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: