Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can stereo reverse reader be hooked to mono system?

Author Topic: Can stereo reverse reader be hooked to mono system?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 03:58 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to temporarily hook the output from a stereo reverse scan reader to a mono system. Can this be done without problems?

If so, any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2004 05:37 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine any problems as long as you keep both channels in phase.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-05-2004 08:45 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reverse scan readers can be hooked to mono systems but there are some gotchas. Most mono systems have some sort of 50 Ohm or so input loading resistor meant to swamp the solar cell in order to obtain flat frequency response. Sometimes it is the mono system's volume control that forms the load.

If not removed, there is very little signal from the output of the reader so you will end up running the mono system wide open.

You may also run into some grounding issues, every case is different.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2004 06:56 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the input with an ohmmeter and if the level is a problem, I'd use a small preamp. I agree about the grounding issue. You might have to fiddle with it.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone be so kind as to explain further about what "grounding Issue's" I may encounter?

Also, please explain further on the "in phase issue".

Thanks for the help!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The outputs of the reverse scan reader are balanced in that the -and th + are neither tied to ground
Most Mono systems were an unbalanced input so the - side is tied to ground
This can cause a lot of hum and noise when the reverse scan is connected as such
You may want to get a pair of high quality matching transformers

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Underline "high quality." I tried to use a Inovonics 4trk preamp unit designed for RTR tape transports to Simplex penthouses. Needless to say, what should have worked in theory (the numbers were correct) sounded like:bs:.

There is a wide range of transformer quality out there; buyer beware.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-11-2004 03:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the problems you would have encountered with that inovonics is the response curve of it as it would have probably been based on the NAB characterisitics not the CCIR or the SMPTE curve also the head impedance would have been an issue as that unit would have been designed for a high impedance head and the film heads for Commag prints are extrememly low impedance
If memory serves they typically are designed to reflect into a 30 ohm load

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2004 10:47 AM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is beginning to sound like something I shouldn't even attempt.

Thanks all for outlining the pitfalls.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-12-2004 10:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many transformers out there a 600:600 ohm one is all you need and the bandwidth of a kono system is so restricted it doesn't have to be the best one either
Mouser has them for telephone coupling (hell they are the one s used on most music distribution amps)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: