Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS-3000 and DA20

Author Topic: SDDS-3000 and DA20
Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a 3000 hook up with a DA20. We have the DA20 hook up to the
Aux 2 input. There is no fallback setting for preset 8 (SDDS) and Dolby digtal (aux 2). When we had the DA20 installed, there was a fallback set for dolby digtal, wich was set to NR2. On the display the top line said dolby digtal and bottom line said NR2. No one could tell me what that ment. So i called Sony up, what they said was the first line what was inputed and the second line what it was palying in, so we never was playing in dolby digtal only NR2. I took the fall back out and set to no fall back, this worked,And it stayed in dolby digtal and if it reverted it went back to dolby digtal after it saw digtal. But if i push the NR2 it wont stay, it go right to dolby digtal. My thing is say the dolby digtal is bad on some parts i dont want to play in both anlog and digtal i rather just play it all in NR2. only way to do this is to turn off the DA20. We only have one 3000 unit and i dont no to much about these sony units. not sure what print we had the problem with the dolby digtal going out, also there was no sdds on the print.

On sdds prints. Not sure how the fallback should be set up. Before it was set as fallback to dolby digtal and then NR2. But with this if it lost sdds it would go to dolby digtal but it would never go back to sdds, and if it lost dolby it go to NR2. if it say dolby it go to that. Now there is no fall back at all with sdds.

What i want is if i want to paly a film in sdds (preset 8) i want the film to play in that if it lost sdds then i want it go to go dolby but after it sees sdds again i want it to go back to sdds.
Now i dont know how all this 3000 works for how i want to do.
more and likely we need our sdds reader alinged some but not all when a splice goes though it drops out of sdds. Any help be great

Kyle

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-27-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In the setup software you have to set the fallback format for preset 8 to:

SDDS
AUX2
SR

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-28-2003 12:08 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you use clear splicing tape for your splices and are they clean with no over lapping edges of tape. I have no problems with the SRD dropping out so long as there is nothing blicking the track and the splice is clean. I would think the same would aply to SDDS.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-28-2003 12:54 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also read the SDDS technotes available on this very website. There is one specifically covering the audio and automation wiring between 3000 and DA-20.

Robbie Hidalgo
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 03:56 AM      Profile for Robbie Hidalgo   Email Robbie Hidalgo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kyle,

quote:
What i want is if i want to paly a film in sdds (preset 8) i want the film to play in that if it lost sdds then i want it go to go dolby but after it sees sdds again i want it to go back to sdds.
The DFP-D3000 can do it, but the automation logic needs to be configured properly. This will require a rewire from what you have now, based on the symptoms you mentioned, specifically that SR-D (AUX2) takes over and will not allow you to manually select SR (NR2) without shutting off the DA-20. If you can change the wiring, it will work the way you want it to.

Because the D3000 has two AUX inputs, it can accept all three digital formats simultaneously, and can fallback between all of them in any configuration desired (any format can be the "primary" and can fallback to any or all of the others).

However, traditional fallback logic required multiple preset selection pulses to be sent from the external source (eg. DTS or DA-20 send seperate pulses to engage their own preset, or to engage the fallback [SR] preset depending upon their status). This interface method is causing one of the problems you are having now, where you cannot manually select SR without the DA-20 forcing the D3000 back into Preset 7.

In order to allow all three formats to both be individually selectable from the front panel or from theater automation at all times, and to allow any/all three formats to be part of the multi-fallback structure, a dedicated logic scheme was devised in the D3000 to monitor the status of the DA-20 and the DTS-6(D). Your D3000 seems to be wired using the traditional Preset switching logic method mentioned earlier. You'll want to change it to this new logic scheme.

First, check your D3000 firmware, and make sure it is at v2.92.

Next, get the Tech Note TN99020101 available here at Film Tech as Michael mentioned, or here as well.

The Tech Note explains the interface wiring, but be sure to set your DA-20 for CP-200 mode after you have updated the wiring, or it won't work. This simply requires setting the green rotary switch on the Cat. 611 board in the DA-20 to switch position 3 (accessable from the front).

Since you are using AUX 2 for the DA-20, you'll want to bring the logic from Pin 1 of the DA-20's Sense/Control Connector (J6) to Pin 35 of the D3000's Automation connector. (For AUX 1, you would use Sony Pin 34). You'll also have to jumper Pin 12 to Pin 14 on the DA-20 side, and tie that pair to Logic Common on the D3000 (Pin 14 or 15). The Tech Note will explain it in detail, but that's all there is to it, two wires and a jumper.

Once you have updated the wiring, be sure to go back into the D3000's fallback setup parameters as Brad mentioned, and configure the following fallback selections:

For Preset 8:
SDDS --> SR-D (AUX2) --> SR (NR2)
For Preset 7:
SR-D (AUX2) --> SR (NR2)

This will allow films to try SDDS first (if that is the primary format selection at show start), revert to SR-D if SDDS drops out or isn't there, and will play SR in the event neither format is available. When any higher heirarchy format recovers (SR-D or SDDS), the system will return to that format in reverse order, and if you walk up and select any Preset from the front panel at any time (eg. SR), the D3000 will stay in your selected preset as the new "primary" until another one is selected either manually or by automation.

When using this logic scheme, you'll notice that the Preset selector switches never change during the reversions. The LCD screen will show the selected "primary" preset on the top line, and the actual playing Preset on the second line.

And as for SDDS reversions at splices, that is not a normal condition. As Darryl mentioned, check splices...the Reader doesn't like to squeeze a 39mm splice through a space designed for 35mm, and that can be one source of trouble. The SDDS system will not revert to analog when it sees just one simultaneous error on both tracks of data (the splice point), so something is causing a second dual-track error burst either right before or right after the splice passes by the Reader's CCDs. Damage near the splice is generally the source of this problem (wrong tape, bad splice, or some other physical anomoly).

Hope this info helps.

-- Robbie

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-28-2003 04:01 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely remember the reversion at splices had something to do with the changeover delay settings. But what was it? Or did it have something to do with the firmware version? I am getting old.
I do however remember that we had this problem on a number of 3000s in early 1999 but got rid of it. If I remember what it was, I will post it here, unless somebody else does so first.

Robbie Hidalgo
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 04:37 AM      Profile for Robbie Hidalgo   Email Robbie Hidalgo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Your definitely right, it is possible to cause some rather interesting results when modifying the C/O delay settings relative to the reader's physical distance from the aperture v. the timing of the motor start command v. the projector's ramp speed v. the actual C/O itself, but it was prevelent mainly in the DFP-2000 series hardware and firmware. As long as the C/O delay is set at it's default (7 sec.), it shouldn't be a problem in a platter configuration. In fact, v2.92 firmware for the 3000 should lock out C/O delay modification unless it detects a second reader in the port.

Addendum: The R3000 Reader firmware also went through at least two "official" version upgrades post '99 which would have improved it's splice performance as well...

-- Robbie

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 01:09 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys, the firmware v is 2.7? i for get the last number off the top my head.

Kyle

Robbie Hidalgo
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Robbie Hidalgo   Email Robbie Hidalgo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kyle,

It sounds like you have v2.74. This version will allow the new automation logic interface to work, but it is not the latest firmware version for the D3000. The latest version, v2.92 has several performance improvements which you'll definitely want to take advantage of.

I'm going to guess that your Reader may not have the latest firmware version either, since both Reader and Decoder would have been upgraded at the same time. There are also several hardware modifications to the reader which are a part of the upgrade that are important to SDDS playability. Generally, if you received the Reader upgrade, there would be a small green dot sticker next to the serial number label on the back of your R3000 Reader. If there is no dot, it's likely that your Reader is not upgraded.

The upgrades are a bit of a complicated discussion for this thread. I would definitely recommend that you consider upgrading the units though, as I suspect others might echo that the DFP-3000 was notably improved after the last upgrades were installed. Feel free to drop me an email if you'd like and I can fill you in on the upgrades in more detail. [thumbsup]

-- Robbie

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: