Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Radio Shack discontinues their analog SPL meter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Radio Shack discontinues their analog SPL meter
Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2003 12:58 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to let you know that Radio Shack is dropping their analog SPL meter. Apparently there are a few left in stores, but that will be it. They will continue the digital model. If you want/need the superior analog version, better go out and try to find one soon.

Ron Yost

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-27-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In canada they had discontinued that one a long time ago

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here in th UK Tnady/Radio Shack dissapeared from our streets some years ago now [Frown]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-27-2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The exact same meter was sold in Germany by www.conrad.com under the manufacturer name "Voltcraft". Maybe it is still available somewhere.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-27-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rat Shack discontinued it about 10 years ago, and promptly brought it back, due to the outcry.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2003 04:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to see it go. There was a whole web site dedicated to making the necessary mods to that meter to make it very accurate. Took a look for that site but couldn't find it any longer either. I never used one myself but I've surprisingly seen it used by alot of big industry people. Ever since that time that Gord and I were at Toronto Science And Surplus and we each bought a used Bruel And Kejr SPL meter I never considered the Rat meter.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-27-2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cel SPL meter is one of the best to use as it has a small capsule

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2003 07:27 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went looking for the Analog Rat Shack meter earlier this year. I couldn't find it so I had to settle with the $100 digital one. [Mad]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-28-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always have to give my Radio Shack analog meter a few whacks before it works properly. You can have 150db of pink noise going and the needle doesn't move. Whack it and suddenly it does. You gotta show it who's boss.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it still cost $30? Mine just broke (go figure) and I might get a new one or try to get it fixed. All I use it for is setting reference in my home theater. Does anyone reccomend anything else that would do that job if I fail to get another one?

AJG

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-28-2003 02:44 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to beat mine into submission, too.

With that in mind, maybe I should encase it in LEATHER BABY, YEAH! [Eek!]

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 06:42 AM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's not a bad thing!
i've used analog and digital meters and it never work properly...
at this price it's so amazing!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 07:36 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know what is going on in the minds of management at Rat Shack. The local stores have dropped component part sales, too.

I went there before Christmas to find something for my nephew that might drive his mother crazy when he opened his presents. All they had was tons of electronic toys, and DVD players with home theatre systems.

The salesman tried to sell me a cell-phone, and wanted my phone number AGAIN!

The sales people in both of the local RS stores are on the rude side, and are pushy. I have a feeling that this will be the end of Radio Shack in the near future.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce,

I was thinking the same thing. Their recent ad campaign is down right hilarious.

Radio Shack has for some reason lost sight of selling resistors and diodes, to converting their stores to a scaled down " Best Buy " or " Circuit City ".

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2003 11:52 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I brought this issue up with a family member who works for Radio Shack and asked if they were bringing in another model and they said that they would let me know.

There will be another analog SPL Meter on RS shelves next catalog year.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: