Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vertical Fold-over with Schneider Anamorphic Lens.

Author Topic: Vertical Fold-over with Schneider Anamorphic Lens.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-25-2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am presently plagued by this phenomena with an anamorphic lens. It looks like what you will see on a vertical sweep of a smellivision set when the coupling capacitor to the vertical output driver is breaking down.

I know it is the anamorphic lens that is causing this. I have a late model Schneider Anamorphic lens.

I have to place a hunk of masking tape to the projection porthole to keep it off the screen. It is extremely obnoxius during credit rolls at the end of the movie.

What can I do other that blowing an astromonical amount of money on a new scope lens? I have seen this once before many years ago, but I was a puke in a position where I could not do anything about it.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-25-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it's the Scope and not damaged backup?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-25-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, it is the scope attachment, almost positive about that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-25-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are talking about seeing a reflected image just ouside the picture or a double image? Normally this caused in the gate area and the anamorphic lens is just projecting it. I must admit...I've never had a Schneider lens do this to me but who knows.

Steve

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-25-2003 06:44 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... please speak in English so us un-enlightened can understand what you are seeing... [Big Grin]

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-25-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had it happen only once in at a new location...oddly it was also a Schneider anamorphic and in this case the lens was not to blame. Even though the proper angle for the port glass was on the blueprint this location installed their port glass wrong, straight up and down, and it could not be changed without alot of work. It was simply a reflection off the port glass(starphire in this location), back to the front element and back out again. Offsetting the machine a couple of inches and then using the turrett adjustments to put the image back on center again stopped the reflection. It was only visible on extremely bright scenes and about 1/3 of the total width of the image over to the left side of the picture in this case.

Try removing your port glass to see if it disappears. If not then move lenses around and see if it travels with that suspected lens. You know the rest of what you'll have to do from there.

Just so you're aware, Schneider scope lenses, all of Schneider's lenses are repairable at Schneiders subsidary, Century Precision Optics in Burbank. If you need an element or element group that is not in stock it can take quite a while as they have to make them in Germany.

Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-25-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, it was a double image about 12 inches from the top of the screen. The top part (about the 12 inches worth) of that image scrolled down at a much lesser intensity while the credit images scrolled up. Very weird.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-25-2003 11:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul:

Two things...remove the port glass (as Mark suggested...it is the most likely) and also remove the aperture plate...Kinoton's with their chrome plates can cause some double images if the light angles work out just right...even non-coated shutter blades can do it. I really doubt it is the lens itself that is generating the image...it is "seeing" something and dutifully sending it down.

Steve

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-26-2003 03:27 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately when the theater was built, the porthole glass was made non-removal. [Mad] [Mad]

However, the roll-over can be seen on the masking tape we have to use to keep it off the screen, so I don't think it is being caused by the porthole glass itself. The problem does not exist on flat movies.

Steve brings in an interesting thought about the aperature plate reflection. I'll pull the plate during the credits and see what happens. I wonder if someone dropped the lens at one time. As I think about this it seems as though some time ago, the problem did not exist on scope movies. All of the sudden it did. I'll swap out the scope lens just to see what happens.

Since this is a wierd problem, I'll pass along what I find.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-26-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this calls for a betting pool. Put me down for prime lens issues. [beer]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-27-2003 02:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Guttag was correct. It was the aperature plate.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-27-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did it suddenly start doing this?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-28-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve K, it looks like it was sprung and straightened by with a hammer. The bottom edge of the opening was rolled over a little, and apparently was providing a light reflection. I'm going to try to trim it iup a little, but since it is a full 2.35 cut already, I don't have too much faith in being successful.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: