Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » LOTR Return of the King not switching to NonSync after show.

Author Topic: LOTR Return of the King not switching to NonSync after show.
Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had any problems with Return of the King not switching to NonSync after the show with DTS. I've had calls from several locations with the same problem. All of these theatres worked fine before. Now not every print is doing it but definitly several from different locations are. Of corse my favorite Tech Karen from DTS is on vacation.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2003 03:10 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's ok, I can fill in for a DTS tech.

Just move the cds to different frives and see if the problem follows the discs. If so then you better send it in for repair.

That's most help I've ever gotten from DTS, of course I dont try to contact them very often.

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Chris,

I've always got great service from DTS and especially Karen. Thanks for the idea though, It's the first thing I should of had them try.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-23-2003 03:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that the theatres in question had shortned the tail piece and that the timecode to make the 6d not switch to analogue not get read?
I to have never had issues with getting things taken care of by DTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with Gordon, about DTS customer care too!

Bye
A

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is happening with my print too. The processor always switches to non-sync at the end of the film but it is not switching with LOTR. The tail is all there I assume it is a problem with the end of the timecode.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem with my CP500's because the automation would kick to non-sync but there was enough SRD data to cause it to kick to Dolby Digital.

I don't really see how it could happen here because the cue should switch to non-sync and stay unless there is a DTS timecode drop out for 4-5 seconds and then it picks up again after the last cue has gone through.

Paul

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-23-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is on the end of the print. I probably should have started a new thread, but it sort of came up here , if you want to read through it.

In any case, your system is probably switching to non-sync. It's switching back out because something screwed up about 4 feet or so into the rating strip at the end of the show. You'll see what looks like a black washout of the sound track. Splice out the rating strip just before that point... or take it off altogether and replace it with something with no DTS code. Your problem will go away.

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2003 06:42 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys,
We found the problem to be cue placement. The normal placement did not work that the circuit was using. Moving it back seemed to work. I just did think the same thing could happen at several locations.

Paul,
Is your NonSync on the 500 set up at a Source? It should not be. A 500 should not be able to go to digital from nonSync with out being pulsed.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2003 05:27 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same problem with a movie played in DTS and a DTS 6D processor. At the end off the show, when the timecode was not present, the DTS 6D switched the sound processor in SR format. Thats normal, is the failsafe function on DTS processor. In case of timecode loss, the DTS would switch to analog format (SR or Dolby A, depend of the jumper configuration on interface board) On DTS 6D it wil pulse the Dolby processor in the non-sync mode 60 second after the loss of timecode.
The cure we found was to add a step in automation, that pulse the dolby processor in non-sync again after tail-out and projector motor stop.
For some automation system, it could be necessary to cut the end tail, just after the last sound on the analog sound track, and replace it by black leader. Displacing the end cue could be necessary too.

Bye,

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-25-2003 05:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems here with a DTS6-AD except for a chras than cause the DTS to lock up and go into the bypass mode. Rebooting at the end of the show cleared the problem.

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean,
Your right that the DTS should pulse to optical when it looses time code. But the interface board (D496 for a 6/cp65) is suppose to block the optical pulse when the time code goes to all 0's or a end code. The problem is they can't seem to keep that end time code in the same place. The 6D however can do either pulse block or it's own nonsync pulse depending how they decided to do it. Just another random non standard thing to deal with.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: