Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS won't kick in (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS won't kick in
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Configuration...
Two drawer caddy style drives original configuration. Single projector. Rebuilt reader from DTS.

While playing film with DTS track unit will not switch CP65 to digital and when manually switched will not play in DTS. This film has played these disks/film in the past with no problems.

Hooking up a keyboard and monitor I can select and play individual "reel files" and when selected (from keyboard) will switch the CP65 into digital and play the selected file without the film running. However if I try to do this with the film running it will play for a second then stop and switch back to SR. It works the same on both drives. It appears as though there is a problem with the DTS unit sensing the film and turning itself on and sending a signal to the CP65.
I have steady signal (green led) from the reader and the readers red led is on. The system looks like it always has when waiting to play. System light flashes and shows signal from reader (led).

I recently added a third drive and all drives worked with test disk and when I used the keyboard to select files. I have since removed the third drive and returned the system to its original 2 drive configuration with original cables and drives etc.

WTF

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-21-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you forgot to set the jumpers correctly and terminate SCSI on the second drive after removing the third drive.
Apart from that possibility, it sounds like your system is in good shape. Even if there was a problem with the automation connection, it shouldn`t affect the unit`s willingness to play in digital. It doesn`t wait for any kind of feedback from the CP. It simply sends a pulse when it starts to play digital, and another one when it drops out.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I added the 3rd drive I moved the Termination Resistors to the 3rd drive from the second. I moved them back when I pulled the 3rd drive. So it is now as it was originally.
[Frown]

I'm tryng to find the info on the led voltage setting on the reader, but I guess it's not in the Film Tech downloads yet

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2003 09:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's here. Does the unit work with the setup discs? How about a reel of another film? Remember those dts6 units were finicky about needing to see a reboot after loading discs or they would frequently not play.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-21-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the jumpers are all in the right places, then your problem leaves me somewhat mystified, especially since the same drives and discs worked before. I don`t think you have a TC problem - then the green light would flicker.
I have only experienced this same problem in "borderline" situations where an old and sometimes erratic drive would read a disc, the unit would switch to digital, then revert after one second. Usually when there were additional problems like a dirty disc.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it did work fine with the setup disc in all three drives. And still does in the original two drives. It's very bizarre

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-21-2003 10:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do both the red scanning LED and the green LED light up...obviously the green one while film is running...... If the red LED is out there is a small fuse locateed on the TC board in the DC line for it that will sometimes blow if the TC reader is plugged in or unplugged with the unit turned on. Also,the LED adjustment that Brad brought up is a gradual thing that occurs over a very long period of time in a home system...much shorter time in a cinema application with 12 hours of operation a day.

It is a good idea to have a look inside your TC reader and see if you ahve an adjustable one or an older one that is not adjustable. If its the older one then you will eventually need to get a repair/exchange unit from DTS that allows this adjustment to be made. I've seen three types of TC readers. One with no adjustment, one with theadjustment pot but no test points, and the current version with pot and test points.

The second probable and very common thing that might be wrong is power supply failure. Ive replaced countless DTS 6 and 6D power supplies. If its bad just buy a junker AT style computer at the nearest resale shop for 10 bucks and live happily ever after. I reccomend replacing the fan in the used supply before re-installing it.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My house is haunted. I mean it.
I took the back cover off the reader and turned on the system to take voltage measurements. I turned on the system to take the measurements and thought I'd run the projector as I was cleaning the film at the same time. Whacko, a ghost or something made it start working. I didn't do a thing. I took the measurements and they were down below 1 volt, so I cranked it up as far as it would go at just over 3 volts. I got this reader just a year or two ago from DTS as a refurbished unit. I put the reader back together and cycled the whole process a couple of times. It worked. I got daring and reinstalled drive 3, it still worked. I buttoned everything back up and it still worked.
I'm glad it's working, but I'd rather know why it didn't work.
It had to be a gremlin
[Eek!]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2003 11:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Stranger things have happened. If it turns up again, then I would be concerned and look farther into things. Until then just remember that [bs] happens. [Wink]

How many hours do you think you have on that refurbished reader? 20? 50? 100? 500? Even though you are in a screening room situation where I'm betting you are lucky to put 2 hours a week on the reader, you're pretty much screwed with getting any kind of warranty on it being honored.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing I have 75-100 hours on it. I think I'll see if I can find a new power supply for the unit.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-22-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the ground wire(shield of the timecode cable) connected to the chassis at the projector/reader end
I have had systems that worked perfectly until we changed the drives and then required the ground to be made at the TC reader

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2003 09:07 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is grounded on the reader end. Do you mean that you had to gound it at the computer end? And it made a difference?
Do these things run on VooDoo?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-22-2003 01:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is grounded internaly

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-22-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS failures....maybe the moon is just right.

Saturday, my DTS6-AD locked up and threw itself into the bypass mode 3 minutes after I started the LOTR movie. [Mad]

I let it run that way for the rest of the show. Didn't want to fool with it and run the risk of losing a full house. At the end of the show, I rebooted the damn thing, and has been working great since.

I wonder if this a lull before the storm?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,
When you adjust the 4 volt setting it has to be without film in the reader and from your wording you were running film at the same time. If you did adjust without film in it then you should send the reader back and DTS ought to give you another one. 1 volt is way to low for it to work. It actually stops reading TC properly at just under 2 volts level with no film in it!! The room you do this in also needs to be on the dark side as stray light will also affect the 4 volt level somewhat. That RC reader should last the rest of your life, and probably longer than the player will since you are not a day in - day out user.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: