Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Digital trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby Digital trailers
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the latest DD trailers called? Dolby are having a promotion here where if you buy a USHIO xenon, you get a free DD trailer.

I just want to make sure they're not old stock. There was one at least made after AURORA, right?

Thanks, John

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-15-2003 08:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IHMO, pretty much all the DD trailers made after "Rain" and "Aurora" were pretty boring. The "Waterfall" EX trailer? Ugh! Even "Rain" and "Aurora" were not very impressive. "Train" and "City" are still my favorites.

To provide balance (so as not to single out Dolby), many of Lucasfilm's recent THX trailers have been boring. Not impressed with "Broadway 2000" and "Cavalcade" was pretty much a retooling of the "T2 THX" trailer from the DVD. "Cimarron" and "Grand" (both more than a decade old) are still by far my favorite THX trailers. I would play them ahead of any of the others.

DTS? Who knows when they're going to get a new trailer made? And that really stinks considering you see the DTS piano trailer on DVD just about as much as the THX "Broadway" clip.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2003 08:49 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So 'WATERFALL' followed AURORA? Is that the latest one then?

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 09:40 PM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I belive "stomp" was the last one. Got 2 of them form dolby about less then a year ago. It doest say "dolby digtal" its just says "dolby" but it is in EX. Never seen the whole thing, except the end of it. But what the others tell me is that all it really is a bunch of people stomping there feet.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello John, we just bought a new Ushio lamp and got a free C/S Dolby Stomp trailer. This promotion from ATLAB?

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our customers really like the STOMP trailer. They also like TRAIN and CITY.

Dolby is out of CITY trailers for now.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-15-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just ridiculous!

A lamp by Ushio does not impact the soundtrack in any way. Theatres should get a Dolby trailer if they have Dolby equipment.

When I think of the tens of thousands spent on Dolby equipment it is indeed irksome to think that all I needed to do was purchase Ushio lamps if I wanted to the trailers.

It also bothers me to think that there are quite possibly some crappy-sounding theatres running the trailers and giving Dolby a bad name by running the trailers even though they are not Dolby-equipped.

And which trailer did they give away? I'm betting it was a "Digital" trailer.

To answer the question, the newest trailer is called "Perspectives" (a.k.a. "Stomp").

As for the "City" trailer, I am unclear as to why it is not available. Does anybody know if/when it will return?

AFAIK, the "Train" trailer was yanked due to complaints about damage to equipment. That trailer was subsequently remixed and reissued.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2003 01:38 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I mean trailers from Dolby are free right? Just call them and tell them your serial number(s)

Stephen Wilkinson
Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2003 03:30 AM      Profile for Stephen Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got one with my last order of a lamp for my families cinema, it was the DD "Perspectives" logo/tag.

It's just a promotional gimmick from a technical supply company here. You only get it if you mention it, they won't tell you about it, plus it is a DD OR DTS logo offer. [Smile]

As far as someone running a tag in an analogue theatre, most complexes, even singles or twins in Australia, have at least one digital house. But the tag's do sound crap in analogue!

BTW Here in Australia if you normally want DD Logo's you have to buy them! Last I heard they were about $90AUS, $63US dollars.

Regards

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2003 04:07 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've asked my manager to order more, but he has yet to get around to it. Then I was talking with another manager today (not the booth manager and someone that runs projection quite often) says not to put them on because this person is tired of having to take them off when prints move around. As if this is terribly difficult to do. This person also claims no one cares if those trailers are on there. Of course, there are some that like it and for those few, it is usually a nice suprise. I'm sure that few people really HATE the sound snipes. Ok, I'll stope ranting but dang: it's 5am, I just finished Return of the King, and I had some stuff on my chest. Yikes! G'day to all.

AJG

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-16-2003 04:13 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny in many markets there is sufficent duty and taxes on even promotional items that they are anything but free and I see absolutly nothing wrong with a dealer providing them as an incentive with sales considering they had to pay the import cost

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2003 05:41 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a STOMP or Waterfall trailers. Is there any place to download a clip of them?

Bye
A

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-16-2003 07:57 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord, I have to pay duty tax on my trailers when they come in so I'm not totally naive to the fact that some people are not getting them "for free."

Bottom line: I don't care if people have to pay for the trailers. They should not be eligible to receive them if they don't have the proper playback equipment in the first place.

If a dealer wants to give them away as a sales incentive then he should hang onto them and give them to people who purchase (or recently purchased) Dolby processors.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2003 08:02 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the Dolby Stomp tag we got just says Dolby not DD, so that is why I am happy to run it, we don't have digital. People like it.

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-16-2003 08:03 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What processor are you using?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: