Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar Spindle Suppliers?

Author Topic: Kelmar Spindle Suppliers?
Jennifer Fieber
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Jennifer Fieber   Email Jennifer Fieber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. One of our more careless projectionists broke the little notch on on our 5/16" rewind spindles. Where does one order replacements? And more importantly, is it possible to order just the notch as a replacement without having to order the whole thing?

Thanks in advance for the info!

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-15-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is for an RTV-xxxx rewind bench? If so, the part should be available from any cinema dealer. I think you have to buy the whole spindle, not just the "key."

If you're using 6000' reels with 5/16" shafts, try to get a pair of spindles with "drive dogs" rather than "keys"; these are much more durable, but won't work with most 2000' reels. You'll still need the "key drive" spindles for 2000' reels.

If you _always_ run 6000' reels, you might consider switching to 1/2" shafts, which use "drive dogs" and are much more durable. Of course, this means that you'll need new reels and shafts for your reel arms (unless you're a platter house).

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-16-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can only get the entire plug-in assembly. It isn't cheap.
I haven't tried but I think a machine shop might be able to disassemble the thing and make/install a new drive tang. Might even be cheaper than a new part.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-16-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spindles on kelmar reel arms have had a issue with breaking off (5/16") ones yet the Tecco, Specco nor the Strong ever seem to exhibit that problem
I think the hardening of the shaft may have something to do with it

Jennifer Fieber
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2003 12:27 PM      Profile for Jennifer Fieber   Email Jennifer Fieber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"yet the Tecco, Specco nor the Strong ever seem to exhibit that problem"

I take it that they are not interchangeable?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-17-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah those shafts are very weak on the Kelmar. One has to resist the temptation to spread the flanges of a tight reel while on the rewind because it seems like even modest pressure will bend the shaft.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2003 11:08 PM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the RTV 8500 and 8900, Part #7635160-4 (black)

I agree with Scott. For the 6,000 footers, I prefer the shaft with the drive pin #7525160-2 (red)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: