Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon gas, visible onscreen?

Author Topic: Xenon gas, visible onscreen?
Max Eldright
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for Max Eldright   Author's Homepage   Email Max Eldright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple nights ago I started noticing what looked like heat rays rising across the screen during a particularly bright portion of a film. At first glance it looked like smoke, but then I realized it was in the projection. It was quite "trippy" to watch, as I was not the only one to notice it all the way across the midsection of the screen. I've never noticed this before, and the bulb for that screen is only about 1,000 hours in.

Is this coming directly from the bulb? Or should I run for a fire extinguisher? heh...

And, how could I reduce this? I think it's hypnotizing our patrons.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been discussed before
It can be heat patterns in the lamp or heat from a ceiling air vent in the theatre interferring with the beam of light

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon's probably right... and I'd bet it's more likely the heating system in your auditorium.

If you're really that interested & can do it, you could always turn the heat off or down to confirm it's your HVAC.

In any case, I'm wondering if you noticed this during your first show of the day. It happens at my place... especially if I cut my HVAC start time too close to my first show. After the room stabilizes, it's not so noticeable.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first saw this artifact many years ago with a Strong Futura arc lamp (who remembers those)and I traced it down to a heating register near the top of the screen.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 11:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one time I saw this during a movie it freaked me out. I was expecting a fire to break out in the booth or something. [Eek!] It was probably HVAC though.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-15-2003 12:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I've documented it, it was the heat currents of the HVAC system.

As to the Futura...Just the Futura II for me...11mm or 13.6mm trims and never had flame-out problems either.

Steve

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat off topic, but I'm sure you've had the experience of pulling the lens out and seeing the "boiling" effect of the gas around the bullseye. From what you describe, though, my money's with the HVAC distribution.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first noticed this during the summer (Jurassic Park), so I don't think the heat was on then.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that xenon gas has no odor... is
invisible and relatively non-toxic and inert.

fjn

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-15-2003 04:08 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xenon is an inert gas. Unless the lamp explodes or has a seal failure, the xenon gas is completely contained within the lamp. Lamphouse odors may be due to ozone gas (produced from oxygen by either ultraviolet energy, or high voltage discharge during ignition), or heating of plastics and contaminants (e.g., lubricants) within the lamphouse. Ozone gas can be harmful to your health.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-15-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. If there is a lens in a projector, the heat waves are more than likely from the HVAC louvers and/or diffusers in the ceiling of the auditorium.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-15-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I first noticed this during the summer (Jurassic Park), so I don't think the heat was on then.
It also can happen when the A/C is run in a hot auditorium. It is related to the optical 'distortion' effect caused by hot gases escaping in a cooler enviornment (such as a gas stove being used outdoors).

The 'Schurlien Effect' of the gases boiling around inside the bulb, while clearly visible on screen when there is NO LENS in the projector is not the cause as it would be impossible for them to have been magnified, focused, and projected onto the screen at the same time as the film was (they are in radically differeng focal planes from each other), and the effect would also be inverted (the swirling would be at the BOTTOM of the screen) if it were to happen, and I too have seen the aforementioned effect on a few occasions with carbon arc booths where there is no xenon bulb to have gases swirling about.

Here is another post about this phenomenon.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: