Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 and A-Type/SR

Author Topic: CP500 and A-Type/SR
David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have these MovieFone trailers built onto every movie that only have an analog soundtrack, no digital. Most of our CP500s default into A-Type for these trailers and I can only think of 1 or 2 that default into SR. My GM has stated that A-Type is inferior and that he wants all of these to run in SR. How can I get the CP500 to default to SR rather than A-Type? Is this going to be processor based or automation based? In all reality, does anyone honestly think it will make that much of a difference playing it in A-Type rather than SR?

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the leaders of the trailers- there should be something indicating what sound format they should be played in. ONLY play them in SR if it says "SR" on the leader- anything that's not SR encoded sounds awful when played with it. My rule of thumb's always been run it in Dolby A unless it says otherwise (SR, Mono, silent, etc)
If these are actually SR, the 500's should be defaulting to that if you start the show in Digital- if they're defaulting to A check that it has SR cards installed. The last place I worked with CP500's, you had to program the automation to switch them to Dolby A or punch it in manually- for a while the first trailer on each film was a PSA with no format labeled, so I set the starting format to A-type and had Auto Digital on so it went to Digital as soon as the first digital trailer started.
I'm typing this from work (non-theater) so hope I don't sound too confusing!

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More info is required. What kind of automation? And more importantly, what kind of digital? If it's SR-D it should default to SR all the time. If DTS it could be as simple as moving a jumper on the D715 board (if so equipped).

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 04:20 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's SR-D(basement) with a Harkins/Component Engineering TA-10. Unfortunately all of these trailers that we have no longer have their heads or tails so I can't determine what it was recorded in.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think by default you mean the automation pulses the system to sr or a type and since the auto you said was pulsing it to a type and the cp500 is set for autodigital I believe it will stay in A until it sees digital and then it will default back to SR when the digital ends which is the failure mode for SRD.
So if the print had say a digital trailor before the motviefone then they would default back to SR if there was no digital trailors before it it would stay in the format that the automation had pulsed it to
The odds are these logos are SR since there has been almost notheing encoded in A type for some time

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby for a long time has promoted SR to the trailer and advertising producers to the point of special licensing to expand the market; so the chance it is SR "type" encoded.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 10:12 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My CP500's used to do this too, when the analog trailer was the first trailer programmed. I just took format 04 off of my soft keys, since we don't get A-type prints usually.

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So basically the automation is pulsing the CP500 into A Type when it should be SR? That would mean the automation needs to be fixed. But rather than going through that it may just be easier to remove A Type altogether from the softkeys? If that's the case that's what I'll do. If we ever get an A Type print for some reason then I'll just add it for the time...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: