Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Alcohol (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Alcohol
David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 02:41 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day when I was cleaning a bunch of used AW3s that we were getting ready to install I went on an alcohol binge. I found that it cleaned more efficiently than my other love, Simple Green. Anyhow, I basically cleaned the entire units with alcohol. Making sure this was OK I checked with the techs that were doing our installs, they said it should be no problem. Now I come here to this Harkins and our tech says no alcohol on the rollers as it will dry them out... They insist on 409 for all of the platter unit cleaning and then using alcohol to finish off the platters themselves. Where do I stand here? Is alcohol an acceptable cleaner for these Christies or no? At the same time, is 409 or Simple Green acceptable?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-13-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use 409 to clean the platter surfaces and rollers, works beautifully. Quick note: FilmGuard is also great to use when cleaning out the projector gate. It takes all the build up on the tension bands right off! [thumbsup]

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 02:50 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could imagine the battle trying to get Film Guard at this place, they go for quantity not quality here. I usually use alcohol on the bands as that is definitely no problem, although if 409 takes the build up right off I'll give that a go in that area.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 02:51 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always use foaming germicidal cleaner for jsut about everything having to do with film transport. Works great for platters, MUTs, reels, centerdrop split reels. Makes aluminum parts (like platter decks look brand new) and it doesnt leave any residue behind. I dont use it for the projector or lamphouse of course.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 03:59 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is foaming germicidal cleaner basically "Scrubbing Bubbles"? That's the stuff I've used to clean up the carcasses of these vintage projectors I've restored. It's great stuff. [thumbsup]

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 07:09 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol on any rubber parts. It does dry the rubber. I'd be careful using any type of cleaning solvent on any rubber rollers. Use a clean rag dampened with good old H2O. Must equipment manufacturers recommend nothing but water to clean rubber parts. [thumbsup]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-13-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use alchol to clean rubber pinch rollers all the time and never has an issue with it just don't sock it on

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-13-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is "Scrubbing Bubbles" also good to clean out all the mess and goo in the belt and gear compartments? Can you simply wash it down the sink or is it environmentally dangerous? What other solutions do you use to degrease and degoo?

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 02:04 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, the platter rollers aren't rubber (are they?). i clean them frequently with alcohol. i used to clean the decks with alcohol too but in another thread someone said that corrodes the aluminum. indeed, it did leave black stains on the paper towels. now i just use dry towels for that.

carl

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 02:59 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Gordon, I've used alcohol on tape deck pinch rollers for 45 years --- home and broadcast stuff. Never had any problems.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-14-2003 03:11 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple Green works great on just about anything. I have used it to de-louse printed circuit boards in transmitters, degreasing engine parts, projector parts, projector castings, etc. It is strong enough to do deep cleaning and as long as you don't let it soak too long, it usually will not damage the paint job unless you let it sit too long. However, it is much easier on the skin.

Scrubbing Bubbles works great! However, it has a ton of "red flags." I would certainly recommend reading the warnings and precautions if you use Scrubbing Bubbles. It'll chew up skin and aluminum, and the fumes can be toxic.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-14-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon was using alcohol when he wrote that, too.

[Big Grin]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used alcohol on rubber pinch rollers without any problems. I don't go overboard with it.

David Whitbeck
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for David Whitbeck   Email David Whitbeck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So is it legit on platter rollers or no?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-14-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
our tech says no alcohol on the rollers
Does it really matter what we have to say?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: