Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New DTS disc container?

Author Topic: New DTS disc container?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we got Stuck on You, the DTS discs were in this new style container that looks like a DVD case.

I emailed DTS and told them how I liked it.

Have any of you come across these new cases and what do you think of them?

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

Those aren't new.. they've been around for a couple years now..

Jeff Klump
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 01:53 AM      Profile for Jeff Klump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got the same thing with our print of Stuck on You as well as our Two Towers extended edition. This is the first time i've seen the new case up to this point and i think it is a great idea. I emailed dts and gave them praise as well. They are all around easier to deal with in my opinion.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 02:16 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are a great idea and they fit very well into the 20th Century shipping containers but the big problem would be fitting them into your ordinary metal shipping cans. Unless they are going to keep these strictly for the Fox releases and possibly use the older thin style for other films.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-13-2003 04:09 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is so much easier than having to fumble with multiple cases when you running a double booked auditorium.

This is also the first time I have seen the cases.

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 09:12 AM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We too got these for the first time with "Stuck On You"

I think they are going to be a good idea for handling of the DTS discs. They are very easy to keep track of and not so cumbersome as the old cases. The only drawback I see so far is that some of the "teeth" in the center that hold the disk had broken off in one of mine - that could rattle around in there and scratch the disc!

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also like them. Very easy to open. I can't tell you how many time's I've had problems opening those old cases, let alone hurting myself doing it. Good job DTS!

AJG

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 12:43 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez guys, I wouldn't be jumping for joy so fast. These cases are part of the new DTS anti piracy measures as they contain a biometric scanner which saves your fingerprints and send them to the FBI crime lab.

Anyone who has handled a DTS disk is a suspect! [evil]

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 02:22 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think they are not made well.

Received two cases and BOTH were cracked at the edge.

I like the old ones because I could mount a CD wall rack and store them in that.

These are going to require some type of DVD carrier to hold it instead.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we also got ours with Stuck on You. This is the first time I've seen them, but there was a note saying thanks for the feedback from the people who tested them or something (wasn't those exact words, but something along those lines). Obviously just a note that goes with all of them. I like the design much better, and as far as them breaking, the older styles broke all the time, plus they were a pain; even to just open. It's probably cheaper for them to, then are just using a DVD case

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still like the yelllow reel insert that held the disks the best never had a dammaged disk in one of them

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a picture of the cracked case and how it looks open.

Cracked Case
 -

Open Case
 -

Also, the insert only allows for one disk. If there continues to be 3 disk movies, there is no way to store a third disk on the insert.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 11:51 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand Paul, However, how many 3 disc movies will there be soon...probably not mmany. It is usually 2 discs. I think this will fare out well.

I do agree though that they could add a 2nd insert there for movies such as LOTR but you can e-mail them your suggestion.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 03:48 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine also came completely broken off on the bottom half.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like em, but they're gonna be more apt to be lost by clumsy film handlers. At least they'll be easy to replace.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: