Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Base side/Emulsion side

Author Topic: Base side/Emulsion side
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a difficult time remembering which is which.

Which side normally faces to the screen and which side normally faces to the lamphouse? (when running thru the projector, of course!)

|  IP: Logged

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2003 06:50 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Base towards the screen, emulsion towards the lamp. When you look at the film , the side that reads correctly left & right - that's the emulsion.

Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If i'm unsure, i scratch the film. If the scratch looks green, i know its emulsion, if its black, i know its the base.

ok... bad joke.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-12-2003 07:35 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes --- normal 35mm print orientation is emulsion toward the lamp, and base toward the lens. Analog soundtrack is outboard (towards you when you thread/lace the projector), and the image is upside-down in the gate ("heads towards heads").

In the camera, the negative emulsion faces the lens of the camera, so the image formed on the negative reads correctly through the base. A contact print reverses this orientation, so the image on a print reads correctly through the emulsion.

Here are links to information about film duplicating systems:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en/motion/support/h1/H1_80-85.pdf

http://www.acvl.org/manual.htm

Please don't scratch the film to determine the emulsion side. Experienced eyes can see the slight difference in gloss between the two sides, and as the humidity gets low, the film will tend to have visible "positive" curl where it forms a U-shaped cup, with the emulsion inside the cup.

Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2003 07:45 PM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was a joke about scratching the film... [uhoh]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-12-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wet your lips and stuff the a non-critical section of the film in between them. Then remove the film from your lips. The emulsion side is the side that sticks to your lip.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-12-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also breathe on the film and the side that fogs up is the base side. Unless, of course, the print has been rejuvenated, then both sides will fog.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-12-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also reflect light off the film and determine the emulsion side by seeing the image "lines" much like an etching.

Scratching and/or licking the film or your chops to see which side is the "sticky" side are the least desirable ways. The licking method is commonly used in the darkroom with raw stock.

Adam, care to come over and see my etchings? [Razz]

>>> Phil

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 02:04 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lick the film. If your tongue feels like it's sticking and it tastes like a cross betwean old leather and liquid paper, then it's the emulsion side. If your tongue does not stick and it tastes like a poly/cotton blend shirt fresh out of the wash, then it's the base side. [Big Grin]

Oh, and if you notice that the film gets all "puffy" and "blotchy" where you licked and it won't come off, then that's the emulsion side, too.

If you filmguard your prints, it may be harder to tell using this method...

=TMP=

P.S. Anyone who takes this post seriously is a darn fool. I pity you.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2003 12:59 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get the taste of film-guard out of my mouth...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-14-2003 03:17 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing partially related:

Sound Track Towards You, Emulsion Side Up.

In that manner, the head is on your left, and tails is on your right. [Wink]

If you can remember that, you won't have to worry about installing a preview or a reel upside down. [thumbsup]

I learned that in the navy-issue MPO school in April of 1967.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 08:04 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil Hill wrote:

quote:
You can also reflect light off the film and determine the emulsion side by seeing the image "lines" much like an etching.

The raised "relief image" was very easy to see on the old ECP "cold process" films (before ECP-2) and Kodachrome films. It is much more subtle on modern print films.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: