Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Say goodbye to tail wraps, thrown prints and poo (aka: SAFETY RINGS) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Say goodbye to tail wraps, thrown prints and poo (aka: SAFETY RINGS)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-09-2003 08:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A few of you have seen or worked with some of the prototypes. It is now complete with all the bugs worked out and all dealers have been notified.

CLICK HERE

Tonight I put one of the production units on a Strong platter (pictured) and beat the inside of it with my fist as hard as I could, with a force no print would ever have crashing into it. The entire platter itself moved about a foot across the floor. The safety ring stayed put. I think it's safe to say there is about a 99.9999999999% chance that when using this, it is impossible to toss a print! [Cool]

These will begin shipping next week.

[ 02-03-2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-09-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad is a genius. How come no one thought of something like this before?

BUT...
How quickly does it go on the platter? It looks like it might take a minute or two.

quote:
I think it's safe to say there is about a 99.9999999999% chance that when using this, it is impossible to toss a print!
Okay, so 33.33333333333... is = 1/3 of 100
BUT...
33.33333333333... x 3 = 99.99999999999...
1/3 x 3 = 1

So therefore,
99.99999999999... = 100.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-09-2003 10:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the design looks simple. But it's not as simple as you might be led to believe, though it is astoundingy simple to use. It has had a lot of testing. Now the majority of people never have to worry about thrown prints again, ever. Don't even bother tucking or securing the tail.

I won't mention the in-house name this thing had during its production. [Smile]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long does it take to put it on the platter?

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 10:27 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! [Smile]

It's about time that something like this was made.

Once upon a time when I worked for a cinema part of a large chain, a fellow projectionist and myself discussed how there was a definite need for such a gizmo. We never quite figured out what would be the best way to go about constructing them though.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-09-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need a green one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-09-2003 10:52 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin - There is an initial assembly of the product that will take between 5 and 10 minutes. After it is assembled, it is just a matter of lifting it onto the platter deck each show. So maybe 5 seconds per show. 10 seconds if you are slow. [Smile]

Kevin Wale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 11:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Wale   Email Kevin Wale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they priced as such where you would put one on all the decks in house or is it intended to move it every time?

I've never "thrown" a print so I'm not really understanding exactly what this thing is for. However, I don't know why I've not thrown a print before. Is it because I'm always checking the pucks to make sure they are snug? Or, have I just been extremely lucky? LOL.

It looks completely logical and certainly like a great idea. I just haven't had the experience I guess to understand exactly what it does maybe.

Am I just a hopeless newbie?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About time you start to market those things Brad.

They're INCREDIBLY easy to use, I'd say they take no more time to use than properly tucking a tail or taping down those suction cups, maybe even LESS time. [thumbsup]

When I first started using them, it was a little awkward, but that only lasted about half a shift, now tucking the occasional tail sucks!

Only need 1 per platter tree (2 for 5 deck trees) as only the payout platter needs to have one.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant!!! [thumbsup]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 12:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice design. [thumbsup]

A very professional implementation of the "retaining ring" mentioned in my 1999 article about "platter fling":

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/pytlak/sept99P.shtml#p

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-09-2003 12:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How often have people had thrown prints? I've worked with platters (mostly AW3s) for the last three and a half years or so (started two years prior with changeovers) on a part time basis and I've never seen a thrown print. I think I've heard of it happening once.

Having said that, the platter ring sounds like a great idea for high-profile shows and those occasional extra-long, extra-staticky films (LOTR, etc.), as well as interlock shows and any other occasion where Things Must Not Go Wrong.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really bad case of "static cling" or poor platter timing can cause some platters to accelerate erratically, throwing the print off center, making the speed variations even more wild. Some platter surfaces become quite "slick" and slippery with use, so the print slides easily. A well designed retaining ring is good insurance even if "platter fling" has been a rare occurance.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-09-2003 02:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been using an early prototype version of the safety rings at a couple of complexes down here for about a year now. (It took well over a year to get all of the bugs worked out of the design, and you wouldn't believe how difficult and precise how such a seemingly simple design had to be to function properly!) Joe is going to post a video showing how the rings are mounted/dismounted. He is in a tight booth and was new to the rings when he shot it, but even with the initial awkwardness of it, you can flip one between decks in easily under 5 seconds. I'd say average time for a projectionist who has used them for a week or two is 2-3 seconds.

I'm going to seriously mistime an AW3 and shoot a quick video showing how they protect the film over the next few days.

Kevin, they are only for the payout platter. The takeup platter's film pack is supported by the center ring, so there is really no issue with that. Also it would be hard to wind the film onto the takeup platter with one of these things in the way. [Wink]

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also it would be hard to wind the film onto the takeup platter with one of these things in the way.

Unless it had rollers and bearings and turned with the film being taken up on the platter. I think you're missing out on an idea that could triple your profit. Better keep working on it Brad. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: