Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Help with DA20 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Need Help with DA20
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2003 09:52 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 6 months in booth, I'm starting to learn how to fix stuff. Well, actually, when something breaks I try to fix it by looking on here; usually finding it in a manual (thanks guys). Well, the booth manager is switching jobs and he is just bombarded with stuff, so I'm trying to help out and fix stuff. It's turned into a hobby really. Here's my problem

Strong Nighlight II Lamphous
Strong Projector
Simplex 5-Star Soundhead
Ultrastereo 35mm Processor
Dolby CAT 700
Dolby CAT DA20

We have a Dolby DA20 on a Cart (to switch between theaters) that hasn't worked for months. I ran two Dolby test loops through (I forget the CAT #'s but they were the Dolby Tone and Speaker Identification ones). I get 6,7,F the whole time while nothing plays out of the speakers. Everything seems to be working except the output of the signal back to the processor. As far as hooking up stuff and check frequencies, I'll do what I have to do, and I know it's a hard thing to troubleshoot but I want to learn and no one @ the theater can show me b/c they don't know. Plus, this could show management that I'm eager/devoted enough to go for more formal technical training. Oh yeah, BTW, they let me do this stuff [Big Grin] , as long as the theater is empty and I'm not doing something extreme...they seem to appreciate my hard-work. I don't want people to think I'm like sneaking around and whatnot...

Thanks a lot everyone!! I'm learning a bunch of stuff and hope to learn even more..

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-08-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a reader head alignment might help.

Do you only get an occasional "F" or does the error rate actually fluctuate in a 6-7-F pattern?

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2003 11:25 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd try changing the Cat 700 exciter lamp first.

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-08-2003 11:40 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. That would certainly be the easiest thing to check and it could well put the unit back into service once again.

Still, I would want to carry out an alignment for the benefit of knowing that it is performing at its optimal level. Especially since this is an inherited situation. I'd need to "lay hands" on the thing and "cast out the demons."

I'd be interested in knowing what it tracks after a simple bulb change.

I don't have experience with the older SRD heads so I'm wondering if there would be dramatic reduction of errors or just a bump up to, say, 5..?

Does anyone think that this is a problem with the DA-20 (as the thread title suggests) and not a reader issue?

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2003 11:41 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention, we have two of those carts and the other cart works in this theater fine...

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-09-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, then...in that case...

Let the card swapping begin!

Be sure to kill the power to the units before inserting or removing a card.

One card at a time.

Be careful to return each card to the correct DA20 after testing.

If you get the faulty one to work by swapping in a card then you've probably bullseyed the cause.

I like to cross-check by trying out the suspect card in the working unit and seeing if the problem is duplicated there. (I wonder if others do this, too.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-09-2003 12:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How many rollaround racks do you have with DA20s in them?

How many cat700 readers do you have?

The first thing you should do assuming you have at least two readers is to hook up the "broken" DA20 into the "known to be good" cat700 and see if it starts working. If so, you have a bad cat700. If not, it's something in the DA20.

Always start with the big items first, THEN start working with the smaller stuff (like swapping cards) second.

Like Manny said, be careful when you swap cards. Don't force anything. Get yourself a grounding strap so you don't damage a card from static. Also, put a small piece of tape on the corner of every card from the "known to be functional" DA20 so you don't get things confused and can put it all back.

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 05:08 PM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad said
quote:
The first thing you should do assuming you have at least two readers is to hook up the "broken" DA20 into the "known to be good" cat700 and see if it starts working. If so, you have a bad cat700. If not, it's something in the DA20.
Brad he already had a rollaround unit working with the 700.

Dean,
When looking at the indicators on the front of the DA20, do the digital signal indicators move? Does the Digital status indicator read digital or analog?
Also do you have the same problems when this unit is hooked up to another digital house?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 06:26 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I would do is get some trailers and run them through using both DA20's and look at the error rates and see what the differances are for each unit. Do this for all projectors that have a Cat700. If one DA20 unit maintains good readings then that unit and the 700 readers are working fine.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 10:22 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we have two of those carts and the other cart works in this theater fine
That would tend to rule out problems with the reader. Leave it alone for now.

One thing you might check is what happened to me recently. Get a meter & measure the 5 volt power supply test point. If it's off, read this.

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If everything checks out you might want to check the cables you use to connect to the unit to the processor

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rule regarding faults or problems that arise that I am not sure of and rather than stabbing in the dark with the possability of making things worse a quick call to our service people who are more than willing to help over the phone with any problems I may be haveing and 99% of the time the problem is fixed this way.Also they advise if its a dont touch prob and needs a tech with the equipment to do the job which is rarely required and if it is then we book the job in to be done.By doing this our equipment is always in good condition and we rarely have major problems after all its what these guys are there for and over the phone help is free.Even after 33 yrs in projection things still arise that I am not sure off.

Steve [thumbsup]

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-14-2003 04:46 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What on earth are you doing mixing it up with the likes of us?

Obviously we can be of no use to you and, evidently, you aren't prepared to offer much to the rest of us...

Just curious about that.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-2003 04:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Stephen has raised a very valid point Manny and one I wish alot of other people followed If you are unsure of something in your workplace it is prudent to check with the people that your employer wants to be used to maintain and service the equipment before proceeding on ones own into the dark. I believe you actually said that about the training of your own companies operators and the level of troubleshouting they were allowed to do

Manny Knowles

- posted 12-14-2003 05:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Gordon. Acknowledged. But I leave room for the possibility that there are folks out there who (a) have no-one to turn to and/or (b) are authorized to turn to "outsiders" for help.

As for the projectionists working in our booths, I don't set the policy although I do happen to agree with it. Furthermore, I think you would agree that are certain prerequisites to servicing projection equipment and, let's face it, most of today's multiplex projectionists don't meet those.

I was genuinely confused by the post because it seemed to imply that turning Film-Tech was a bad idea.

There have been times when I was faced with a problem that was beyond my level of comfort and experience and, still, I posted the query for two reasons:

1. My tech might find the input helpful; and
2. Someone else might have the same problem later on.

So I would have no problem with one of my own projectionists visiting Film-Tech and participating in the forums so long as they honored the terms of their employment agreement, which basically says "don't try to fix or modify the equipment in any way."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: