Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century Projector Lower Gears (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Century Projector Lower Gears
Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have greased all of the gears one of our old Century projectors, but it persistently makes noise, mostly squeaking. I believe that the squeaking is from the lowest gear behind the soundhead, but I have lubed it over and over again. Is there anything else I should check or do?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically its the belt idler that squeeks. This tensions the belt that goes from the soundhead to the projector. If its an older Century machine then you'll probably find its a black phenolic idler, later machines have an alumnium and ball bearing idler. If you confirm that its the phenolic type then place a few drops of oil in behind so it can run down onto the shaft as well as a few drops from the front side of the idler. This usually cures the squeeking. If this problem returns frquently, then replace the phenolic idler with the later ball bearing version.

Also, if the take up reel belt drive gear is still in thereit might also be the squeeky contender. That gear is also located on the same arm casting that the tensioner mounts onto. A few drops of oil as on the idler will also take care of that. If its neither of the above you probably should get your service tech out ASAP as the problems may be bearing, or bushing related.

Mark @ CLACO

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-08-2003 03:02 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark. More than likely, the idler/tensioner is the problem. It is easy to verify. Use a plastic hose or a rubber hose such as a automotive vacuum hose and use it as a stethoscope. With this method, it is very easy to determine where the squeaking is coming from.

However, exercise caution so you won't foul the drive belt with the hose.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 07:51 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for kicks, grab the sprocket in the sound head and see if you can move it in and out or up and down. (Do this only when the machine is not running or course [Big Grin] )

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-11-2003 09:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Just for kicks, grab the sprocket in the sound head and see if you can move it in and out or up and down. (Do this only when the machine is not running or course"

I run into this all the time and carry a set of bushings in the van with me. You will find this problem with Centurys that have been running on Christie AW-3 platters for some years. The holdback on the payout heads causes the extra bushing wear. You'll also find the same problem with the Century JJ as well if the machine has run alot of 70mm film.

Mark @ CLACO

Shane Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for Shane Hoffmann   Email Shane Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That could be what our problem is. We have an AW-3 platter with that projector. We're having our tech come shortly, I'll have to have him check our other century/AW-3 setup as well.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-11-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The holdback on the payout heads causes the extra bushing wear.
Well I've always said to remove those stupid springs, but some people insist they have to be in there. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, what about a Century that has been running with an SDDS reader (particularly the 3000 model) for some time?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-11-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can the payout holdback influence the sound head sprocket?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-11-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
If ya remove them you will sometimes experience DTS time code read problems....especially with Christie projectors, not to mention higher error rate on SRD!! If Christie would just make a delrin strap instead of the cheapo metal thing in there it wouldn't be a problem. Don't have any SDDS penthouses on Centurys in my sevice areas that I can think of. I'll just be happy to put the last SDDS system in the junk yard anyway....

Michael, The grease thats normally in there gets sticky after a few years and causes the center roller to have higher tension than when its new or freshly greased. A delrin spring band would eliminate having to have grease in there anyway. On the platters that need to have them on I re-grease them with SuperLube...it doesn't dry up or get gummy over the years. Other wise like Brad says...get rid of em.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-12-2003 09:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often on older century styled soundheads there was an oilcup on the non operating side of the machine that provided oil to the soundhead sprocket shaft sleave and was usually forgotten in routine lubrication and then seizeing up wears and makes noise

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you are talking about the picture head upper holdback, Mark? 'Cause I also fail to see how the payout head is going to affect the soundhead holdback. Those springs should always be removed. I haven't experienced the issue with springless vs springged (huh?) payout heads and penthouse type readers. Not to say that the issue doesn't exist in some cases...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-12-2003 09:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt......
The only issue is with P35GP machines, other Christie versions don't need the spring. Of course there have been too many issues with these machines to begin with! You definately get better results with the spring in there on everything else I leave em out.

Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-12-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought we were talking about century soundhead issue [Confused]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-12-2003 10:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea.... I covered that by suggesting that he get the tech in to work on it if oiling the idler didn't help out. Suggesting that someone inexperienced and without replacement parts at hand dismantle the soundhead shaft and parts would not be wise.

Somehow we got onto discussing the upper busing wear caused by the darn tension spring in AW-3's. A valid point indeed...
Mark @ CLACO

Matt Zeiner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2003 11:44 AM      Profile for Matt Zeiner   Email Matt Zeiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK gotcha. we are talking about a myriad of topics in this thread....We just got an account with a location of all busted up p35s. Lucky me. Mark - do you guys do Christie ultramittants? We do all of ours in-house for Cinemeccannica Century and Simplex, but I've heard that the ultramittants are not serviceable. Is this true?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: