Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Crap Code on LOTR:FOTR(SE) - wtf? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Crap Code on LOTR:FOTR(SE) - wtf?
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An entire REEL ruined with those pesky red dots.

Why? Why? Why?

This SE has already been out on VHS (very copyable)and DVD (somewhat copyable) for MORE THAN A YEAR! And the SE is CURRENTLY showing on STARZ Movie Channel! So WHO THE HELL is going to go to the trouble to PIRATE this new print???

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-06-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you understand, piracy has become a sport.

The crap code will win this match, by default, since nobody's going to bother pirating it.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-08-2003 11:24 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a good question to ask someone at New Line. I assume that no one thought about the fact that it was already out and just proceded with their machine-like habitual CAPcoding.

Incidently, the print I saw had a lot of negative hair and ocasionally strange black splotches on the left edge of the image. Did anyone else see these (outside of Boston)?

--jhawk

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-08-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think John is probably right. They are just doing it because that's what they always do and they'll be damned if they put any thought into the process.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-08-2003 11:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jhawk wrote:

quote:
Incidently, the print I saw had a lot of negative hair and ocasionally strange black splotches on the left edge of the image. Did anyone else see these (outside of Boston)?

Occasional blotches along the left side of the image are usually due to accidental "bleeding" or spashing of the soundtrack redeveloper, a problem that will be eliminated with the conversion to cyan dye analog soundtracks. [Smile]

New Line usually uses another manufacturer's print film. [Frown]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-08-2003 04:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prints stated that they were on Fuji stock. The lowering of quality will be what any conversion to cyan will bring...now conversion to digital projection will eliminate the other anomolies. Of course...new digitally perfect artifacts will replace them.

Steve

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-08-2003 04:25 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was soundtrack developer; they were opaque blotches that were only present for a frame or so, and they had no purple tinge to them.

--jhawk

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Red Square Pixel Cap Codes is the digetal improvement [Big Grin]

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
American Cinematographer: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

quote:

TECHNICAL SPECS

Super 35mm 2.35:1

Arriflex, Moviecam and Mitchell cameras

Zeiss and Angenieux lenses

Kodak EXR 50D 5245, Vision 200T 5293, Vision 500T 5279, SO 214

Digital Intermediate
Scanning/Recording by Weta Digital
Digital Film Grading by The PostHouse AG

Printed on Fuji 3513D

I saw FOTR today, and I was upset with the CRAP codes as well. The Extended Edition of FOTR has been on DVD for almost 14 months. You can get a pirated copy online that will look much better than anything that could be ripped off from within a theater. The first few reels seemed ok. Then all of the sudden, it was shock and awe. They were everywhere.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 02:10 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"They were everywhere."

Really? I didn't see them until reel 9. Was the coded reel variable?

--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-09-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jhawk wrote:

quote:
I don't think it was soundtrack developer; they were opaque blotches that were only present for a frame or so, and they had no purple tinge to them.

When the soundtrack developer splashes or bleeds into the picture area, it converts silver halide back to silver within the image which won't be cleaned out by the 2nd fixer. The silver appears as gray or black over the image. No "purple tinge":

Here are the Kodak ECP-2D process specifications:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en/motion/support/processing/h249/h2409.pdf

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2003 04:29 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attended FOTR-SE last night at Marcus Ridge Cinema in New Berlin, WI, and the Crap Code was all over the reel where they are in Lorien.

Every time Galadriel appeared on screen, she would have Chicken Pox.

Fortunately, I didn't see it anywhere else during the film.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CRAP Code on mainstream movies, CRAP Code on arthouse product, now CRAP Code on re-releases. The Triple Crown!

Liam Utley
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Liam Utley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cinema i work at received an email stating that ROTK will have anti-piracy coding... please, for the sake of all that is good (and my sanity), please dont let it be LOTR: ROTCAP!!! I felt that CAP code really took my focus off the movie during Kill Bill during the B&W scenes. I'll wait for the dvd so that i can enjoy it properly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-11-2003 10:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice any crap code on "Last Samauri"... Anyone else notice it?
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: