Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Water filter bowl, like used on Ashcrafts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Water filter bowl, like used on Ashcrafts
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-06-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember those simple water filters with the glass bowl, used on the Ashcraft water circulators? Does anyone know where I can get some?

|  IP: Logged

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2003 05:37 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should find them at an auto supply or agriculture dealers. They were in common use as fuel filter sediment bowls.The exact one you need was used on a Massey/ Ferguson combine of a few years ago.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-06-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we use fuel filter bowls as on a farm tractor on the water circulators we build. Call on Monday after 12:00 noon and ask for Clayton and he'll tell you where he gets em and what they are from.
Mark @ CLACO
801-355-1250 Office

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-06-2003 10:40 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I should say what it's for.... We have several Kinoton PK60D projectors that operate with 4K and 5K lamps. If you go to the F-T topic, "Kinoton PK60D Coolant Needs" at the bottom of the first page there is a picture of a blue plastic tank, which is what we use.

If the water cooling pump stops, the delrin runners for the trap melt. So we're looking for some kind of visual indicator to see if the water is still flowing. Bernard T. provided pictures of some really nice units, but come to find out they are $150 each. I just can't stand the idea of spending $150 (times about 14 projectors) for this purpose. I used the Ashcraft tanks for a long time, the glass bowl idea worked fine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-07-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another way to skin the cat is to use a flow switch. If the water isn't flowing, it can sound an alarm or even initiate a stop command to the automation. This would negate the need to have someone monitor it.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2003 09:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ones we use can't cost that much since we sell the entire circulators for around 500.00 each! Yes, Kinoton does have that melting gate band problem [Eek!] . We are considering using Kinoton on a new upcomming 10 plex but that whole plastic gate aspect has me wondering if we will.
Mark @ CLACO

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-07-2003 09:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I've run Kinotons up to 5KW (including 16mm!!) without a single melted gate runner. Just what lamphouses are you considering? If you are using consoles...then go for an FP-50 which will get you low heat out of the lamphouse in the first place.

Using conventional lamphouses, I've only gone up to 2KW without water cooling and again no runner melting. Then again, I water cool a Simplex on anything above 2KW as well too. On a Kinoton/Kinoton install...I generally start water cooling at 4KW.

Steve

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-07-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We installed a PK-60D on a 4kw ( non-Kinoton ) console with dichroic glass reflector and heat filter and has been running without coolant for three years....no sweat.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2003 05:07 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get sediment bowls at most any NAPA, Car-Quest or other chain auto supply store. They range in price from $9-15
And they include a fine mesh screen to stop the 'big chunks'! Use a small percentage (10% or so) of ethylene glycol, (anti freeze) it will not only ptovide a green tint (for better visibility in the bowl) plus it provides a little better heat absorption for the liquid as it passes the gate!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John is right. Go to NAPA Auto Parts. The one we use is from a Farmall tractor and costs very little. I do recomend NOT leaving the screen filter in there though. They reduce the flow quite a bit, even with a largish pump.

Mark @ CLACO

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-07-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this flow indicator, which seems easy to install where there's just plastic tubing to/from the tank (Grainger 2P362, $24.00):
 -

It's interesting that others do not have this melting problem. We have the projectors mounted on Neumade/Xetron consoles, with heat filters. The lamp air flow is good. While running (without cooling) the film sort of digs into the trap runners and gets caught. The pressure from the gate presses against the film in.

Hi, Steve: I thought about a flow switch, but they seem to also be about $150.00 - I'm still looking, though.

Another problem is those Little Giant pumps (NK1, NK2) don't last too long, which by itself would be OK, except when they die, they also overheat. The plastic pump casing cracks, allowing the oil inside to leak out, contamninating the water.

Our lead projectionist at that site may join in here with more details if he happens to see this thread.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-07-2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Xetron unit is probably a dichoric metal reflector, though a good unit, will run hotter than a glass dichroic with a heat filter. Xetron does have an optical bench set up for an 11" glass dichroic reflector which could be a future option. Too bad that the budget doesn't allow for a Kinoton chiller unit. The inexpensive water circulators we produced had side mounted inlet / outlets which made inspection of coolant flow easy + pop up circuit breaker & power switch with neon indicator for the motor.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-07-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
Don't waste your time with Silent Giants and the like...they'll definately go silent on you right when you need it to be working! What you need is a cooler unit like this. 7 gal tank with about 6 gallons in it. Has a large Teel pump that is VERY reliable and a radiator with 4" fan that will keep the fluid at room temperature after all day runs with a 4kw lamp. All new booths are air conditioned and this is a good way to take advantage of that. The visual fluid bowl is on the other side of the radiator. These are not very expensive to construct. The radiator is the most expensive part.
The bowl type flow unit is much more visible than that in-line indicator from Grainger and less expensive. On this unit the visual bowl is the last thing in line before the fluid goes back into the tank

Mark @ CLACO

-

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-07-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice water puppy.....Mark [Cool]
The last time I used a flow switch was to protect from silver jaw melt-down and reflector cracking in the Ashcraft units in a drive in.....too many years ago.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2003 12:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark I wonder where you saw that design first [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: