Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Blocked intermittent oil point

Author Topic: Blocked intermittent oil point
Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have three machines where the intermittent oil can't be topped up by the fill cap on top of the intermittent assembly. The oil simply will not go in as if there is some blockage. Two of the machines are Monee, the other is a Century (which is not as bad as the other two, you just have to be very slow).

At the moment, the only way of topping up the oil is by removing the drain screw at the bottom of the assembly, draining the oil, quickly passing oil through the drain hole, and placing the screw back in before the oil drains out again. It's a messy procedure at the best of times.

Anybody have any ideas? As you can imagine, it's a real pain having to drain the whole assembly every time it needs topping up!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

|  IP: Logged

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Century movements I have seen there is a small hole on the non-operator side of the movement. This hole is on the top of the movement behind the intermittent flywheel. I have used that to add oil before. If you have a blockage the only way I can think of to get it out would be to have the movement taken apart by someone who has experience in that if you dont. If the blockage got down into the movement there could be a disaster.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats very easy. Look on the gear side of the machine between the flywheel and the intermmittent casing for a small breather hole. Fill the movement through the breather hole.... Its much easirer this way and faster. Just be careful to not overfil as excess will be pumped out this hole. There is an added advantage to this method as there is a small felt wick that feeds oil to the outer cam shaft bearing where the flywheel mounts. Fillint the movement this way also assures that the wick is staying wet with oil. Filling from the front end does not guarantee it'll stay wet unless you overfill it and some is pumped out through the breather hole. This is really the preferred way of filling a Century type movement!!

Eventually the movements should be removed and be checked for what ever blockage is in there. Probably film dust.

Mark @ CLACO

P.S. It helps to haev a pump style (Plews) oiler, not a regular oil can with a straight spout!!

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info, does it apply to both the Monee's and the Century?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there should be a breather hole on all movements of that type. I never could figure out why they put the little oil cup thingy on the front side anyway...takes forever to fill em up that way.
Mark @ CLACO

Rick Meister
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 10:35 PM      Profile for Rick Meister   Email Rick Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that if you stick a straw in the oil fill on the operators side then fill it thru the straw it works much better and faster

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: