Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS drive add on

Author Topic: DTS drive add on
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Inspired by Josh's 3rd drive add on "How To" (and being bored and depressed by the Western Washington rainy weather) I decided to do something constructive and take a shot at adding on the 3rd drive to my 2 drive DTS unit.

Except...I'm cheap

I found some of the original Toshiba XM-3401B drives on line and bought a couple. They are supposed to be factory refurbished units. I guess they might be

Since I'm short on rack space I had to pull my 120v switch box out and move my amps down one RU. I made a panel down at the shop which would allow me to mount the 3rd drive and 4 On-Off switches, so I could turn of and on the Dolby products that I have, since they don't put power switches on them. I was able to salvage a drive holder out of an ancient computer I had laying around.

-

I got 4 Rat Shack switches (part 275-692) and mounted them along with the drive for a fit check

-

I found a nonworking Rat Shack power strip and cut off 4 plugs and mounted them on the back of the panel.

-

Before I made all the stuff I tested the unit out and it does work. I figure with the drive and other parts (but not the labor) I got less than $100 into the upgrade.

I'm still trying to figure out what the original DTS color is so I can paint the aluminum to match the DTS unit. Anyone know?

Thanks for the inspiration Josh [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-02-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Brad's the mastermind behind the upgrade ... Josh helped him assemble the unit for the tips page. [Smile]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-02-2003 09:32 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice. But do you paint to match the DTS or paint to match the Dolby? Ah...decisions, decisions. Maybe a DTS half and a Dolby half. [Smile]

Jean-Pierre Van Hoof
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 07:36 AM      Profile for Jean-Pierre Van Hoof   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Pierre Van Hoof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm stuck with a little problem and that is I can't get the
9005E19400-3 Drive Kit in the Netherlands, only 9005E20900C or
9005E65200B 3cd-rom upgrade's.
Could either of them function or am I out of luck over here?

Thanx in advance for any help.
JPzzz

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 09:03 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't use the new drive kit I just added an old one to the existing two. Write me off line and we can talk about it. I tried to email you but it is blocked

Jean-Pierre Van Hoof
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 09:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Pierre Van Hoof   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Pierre Van Hoof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Greg,

I sent an e-mail to you and unlocked my e-mail in this forum.

Grtzzz,
JPzzz

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2003 02:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The addition of a 3rd drive was tested with the various "dts approved" drives over time. I never found an instance where it didn't work. If you will look carefully, you will see the picture of the finished machine does indeed have those older Toshiba drives in them and not from the Teac kit (although the Teac kit drives were tested and the other parts were used from it).

But why stop at 3 drives? You can have up to 7 so long as you get the drive jumpers set properly. [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-03-2003 08:13 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7 drives. SCSI can be cool. [Cool]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: