Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century SA travel ghost problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Century SA travel ghost problem
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 02:51 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to get rid of this travel ghosting problem on our Century SA. I have timed the shutter several times on this machine when changing intermittents etc and never had a problem getting the timing just right. A week or so ago I noticed a ghosting upward problem that occurs only at the bottom of the screen. I have tried twice to time the shutter to get rid of it using the same method that worked in the past and cannot get any better results. Could this be due to excessive wear in the gear train or some minor thing that I am just over looking? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 02:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excessive play in the gear train usually results in ghosting that drifts in and out, sometimes on BOTH sides of the light objects. Do you feel any play in the gear-train between the shutter shaft and intermittent drive gear? Are you sure that the shutter blades are not damaged (e.g., warped, burned)? Is the blade somehow slipping on the shutter shaft after you time and tighten it? Is the lamphouse distance, focus, and alignment correct?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-01-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
Does your projector have a knocking sound when it runs? If so that is indicitave of a bent verticle shaft and will cause the shutter to slip on the shaft even though you've formly tightened it down. If the knocking noise is present replace the verticle shaft along with its matched intermittent drive gear. Also throw on a new shutter gear while you're at it. This is a fairly common problem with Centurys if the shaft was incorrectly installed to begin with or re-installed improperly after a tear down to fix something else. Also check to see that the shutter timming adjustment, knob and associated parts is not real loose and slipping. This camn also cause timing to drift a bit. Another possibility is if you are using a Xetron Lamphouse...there may be spill over at the sides of the shutter. Some models had just a tad too large of cone of light at that point for a Century Shutter necessitating a larger diameret shutter blade.
Mark @ CLACO
P.S. I replaced a bent vert. shaft down in Page, AZ. last Wednesday... its more common than you'd think.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 11:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a few things to look at I think. Is the shutter damaged? A hole or burnt edge, or a bad warp - pretty common when the lamphouse is maladjusted or the main dowser is left open with the lamp on - will cause ghosting trouble.
As the geartrain wears it gets looser, and the shutter timing when you do a static setup doesn't easily match the way it runs at speed. Until the gears and keyway are really sloppy it should run OK as the shutter and intermittent drag tend to keep everything on one "side" of the slack; when it's time for a rebuild you start to get the wandering ghost that John describes.
Adjusting the shutter is a pain, as you probably found out. Try turning the machine over forward slowly while feeling the intermittent and watching the shutter, it should be just covering the aperture when the sprocket starts to move and just uncovering it when the sprocket locks up again, the angles should be equal (though reversed). If they aren't, regardless of how perfect the tiiming looks using the pin and notch - it's wrong. If you advance the shutter a bit and do the screws up so the shutter just slips on the shaft then set the intermittent to 2 teeth advanced - turning the machine forward - then turn the shutter (without making the shaft turn) back to where the pin and slot line up and carefully tighten the lock screws... you've hopefully kept all the loose bits on the working side of their looseness. The shutter adjustment should manage to correct any ghosting that remains, just make sure it was centered before you did the previous step.
Since you only have one direction ghosting, I think the machine has a few hours left before it needs new parts. Unless you have wandering ghosting or simultaneously on top and bottom then it shouldn't need expensive surgery to eliminate the problem.

Michael Rourke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Michael Rourke   Email Michael Rourke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the intermittent bearing collar nut is tight, if it is loose it will allow too much play in the shafts and throw the shutter out of time.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2003 08:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for setting the shutter.... it is VERY easy on a Century! First set the outboard timming adjustment to the center of its range, then with the shutter loose on its shaft advance the mechanism slowly while holding a screwdriver tip next to an intermittent sprocket tooth. Advance the mechanism till you count the second sprocket tooth and stop. Then align the little V notch on the side of the blade with the large pin thats behind the sight glass and tighten the blade down. This method always results in perfect timming and the outboard adjustment will give you timming adjustment on both sides of dead center.
Mark @ CLACO

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 11:38 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way I learned to time the shutter was a different way. I learned to first take the shutter blade loose from the shaft. Then advance the machine until the screw holding the intermittent flywheel is parallel with the vertical shaft. Then align the notch in the shutter blade with the pin in the sight glass. This has always worked for me perfectly but I will try these suggestions when I get back to town on Thursday.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 01:22 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John: Do it the way Mark describes to you. That must be an old instruction book you have that describes the method you use in it. Its very poor, in my opinion. The "Mark" method works best on any projector. "Advance 2 teeth and set shutter to block light path".

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-02-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, Mark's method is the most accurate way to do it. I might add that you should insure the fine shutter adjust carriage is set in its mid-position before you time the shutter.

Since you have only a little ghosting, the fine adjust knob should be able to take care of that.

If you have a pulsating ghost, your machine is not feeling very good. A pulsating ghost is caused by shutter bounce and usually indicates some warn gears, rough gears and/or bearings or improper shaft (vertical and/or shutter) loading.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-02-2003 09:17 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the SA have a fire shutter? If so, perhaps it is falling into the image? That can look like travel ghosting at first.

--jhawk

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
The shutter bounce I experienced last Wednesday in Page, AZ and on numerous other occasions always turned out to be a bent verticle shaft. Most common cause of a bent shaft that I've found is improper re-installation of the shaft at some point after a tear down for major cleaning or what ever other work may have been done. Ususally the area where the intermittent bearing block is clamped by the two allen screws is full of white paint and some people don't clean away the paint and will literally force the block back in place distorting the vert. shaft without realizing they've done it. Also the bearing block mounting pads should be free fomr paint and other debris. The only way a Century can function properly is if everything is sitting flat when its tightened down to the main casting. LaVezzi has a C2-G-93 replacement vert. shaft thats made from hardened stainless steel that is so well made you could pound nails in with one [Cool] , these have never failed on me yet in the field.

Over the past couple of years I've encountered a number of LaVezzi SA Star Wheels that had slots which were a bit to tight. Although these movements almost always run hot, literally,not everyone may catch this. This can also cause excessive loading back on the mechanism during pull down and cause shutter bounce. Lapping the slots out slightly with lapping powder on a glass plate takes care of this problem. I actually had one of these today when I rebuilt an SA movement in the shop!!

Mark @ CLACO

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-02-2003 11:55 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said:
quote:
This can also cause excessive loading back on the mechanism during pull down and cause shutter bounce.
You are absolutely correct. Seen it happen.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark, that is the best way I have found to time most shutters. The main thing is to center the shutter adjust assembly before timing the shutter. If you don't get the timing just right you can adjust it out with the knob.

I have found some SA's as they wear have the shutter adjusting assembly become loose. The model SA pins as well as bolts the dovetail block so play adjusting doesn't work as it did on the model C/CC. The SG-100 spring wears out and the assembly starts moving while the projector is running thus causing a travel ghost. Replacing the spring usually helps. You should feel some resistance when turning the shutter adjusting knob.

I also agree with Mark on using the hardened LaVezzi vertical shaft and gear. I started using them when LaVezzi first started making them and never had one come back.

Also check that the GR-8 or newer gear at the bottom of the vertical shaft is tight and the shaft has no end play. Century vertical shafts will wear out quickly and you will get shutter shaft bounce. The spring washers as well as other parts also wear out faster. I started replacing the screw holding the GR-8 with an allen cap screw and set spring load on the vertical shaft to have the lower ball bearing cover be hard to turn by hand.

I also replace the rubber tire bracket holding the GR-234 with the model C type BR-3. I believe Century's new machines have used the old style bracket and allen screw for a few years now.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-05-2003 04:32 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The way I learned to time the shutter was a different way. I learned to first take the shutter blade loose from the shaft. Then advance the machine until the screw holding the intermittent flywheel is parallel with the vertical shaft. Then align the notch in the shutter blade with the pin in the sight glass.
Someone suggested that I try it this way -- it was supposedly easier -- but I then had to use the shutter knob right away to fine tune the timing.

Actually, I found that I needed to turn the knob all the way in one direction or the other and that's a sure sign of a bad timing job...actually, in those cases, the actual timing *technique* was to blame.

Needless to say, I went right back to doing it the right way:

1. Set the shutter timing knob to its midway point;
2. Set the intermittent to the pull-down midpoint and then
3. Align the shutter so that the notch is lined up with the pin -- the blade should be centred to the aperture plate.

(It's worth repeating.)

If there's a little notch or a red line on your inching knob you may want to set that up so that it indicates the position of the pulldown blade on the shutter. I usually line that up first before locking down the shutter. Does anybody else bother to do this?

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2003 12:09 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,
I set the notch in the up position when the flicker blade is centered over the aperture. This gives you a visual aid when the intermittent is centered in it's rest position for film threading. I set the indicator after first timing the shutter properly. I have used this method on Century and older rear shutter Simplex (E-7 and older) projectors for years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: