Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS causing a pop on changeover

Author Topic: DTS causing a pop on changeover
Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 06:32 AM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just moved DTS unit and reader to another cinema. Before it reverted to DTS without any disruptions; now it emits a loud pop through front speakers when it picks up the timecode.

Similar to Josh's enquiry early today (or yesterday?), I am running CP55 processors.

I have pulled and sprayed all edge connections and sockets in the CP55, as well as in the DTS unit and player. Aside from this, the unit / reader are performing well.

Where should I look next?

|  IP: Logged

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just brain storming: do you have the same POP when you select DTS format on your CP manually?
I've heard of strange anomalies when DTS reader's offset is set over 70.

Bye
A

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-02-2003 05:42 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the DTS processor pulsing the CP55 into analog at all during the changeover?

Is the pop heard at the 'exact' same time you fire the change-over douser? Does the pop not happen if you only start the incoming projector and not fire the change-over douser?

Chris Byrne
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 05:10 AM      Profile for Chris Byrne   Email Chris Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, the pop is evident when you push DTS on the CP55 as well as when the timecode is recognised and DTS pulls in via the reader.

Daryl, my apologies, I have used the wrong terminology by calling it a 'changeover.' It is a one projector operation and the pop is instantaneous with the CP55 selecting the DTS format.

I am a little puzzled. [Confused]

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2003 08:04 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it's not a problem from your DTS player, the POP is not coming from it but from the CP. I'm afraid can't help you further...

Good luck!

Bye
A

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-03-2003 09:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you noticed this thread yet?

I can't decide which thread to keep. Someone else decide for me.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-03-2003 10:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well keep that one since it was posted first.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: