Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong LTI bulbs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Strong LTI bulbs
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 12:06 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are about to start using LTI bulbs and I have heard that they are not very reliable. I was wondering if anyone can give me any information or opinions on them (how long will they put out good light, how often do they fail, etc..)

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Klump
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 03:04 AM      Profile for Jeff Klump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to use LTI bulbs in our Strong lamphouses before we switched to Christie. I like Christie better because they usually burned brighter during the duration of their life. Also, I found that the LTI's last 500 hours longer (about 2500 hrs with 4000 watts) than their Christie counter parts. That's an extra two months for us. Another drawback we had were more explosions. We had 3 bulbs blow up within 2 years. In a year and a half with Christie we've had none. Hope this helps a little.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-01-2003 03:53 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I have had bad luck with them. I never had one blow up on me, but I never got mileage out of them as compared to Christie.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-01-2003 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Christie(actually Ushio) is the best, however we have not has a single failure of any LTI lamp and we have close to one hundred in the field now!! What ever problem may possibly arise from their use I'm sure Strong will back up every bit as well as Christie would. LTI's are quite a bit less expensive too.

Mark @ CLACO

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 09:36 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been using LTI for about 2 years now. We are experiencing few failures about the same as we experience with ORC. There are a few other threads on the forum for LTI. Try a search for LTI Bulbs and you will see the other threads.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-01-2003 11:22 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have recently switched to LTI after a number of years of running Osrams, and most of them seem to be doing well- I have had one LTI bulb explode with 177 hours on it, but got it replaced for no charge under warranty. (FWIW, the only other bulbs I have ever had explode while in operation in a lamphouse were all Osrams)

I also am quite impressed with the bulbs from Superior Quartz.

-Aaron

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had four osram bulbs explode on me in the past year. Four out of 90-120 is not bad in my opinion. Of course they paid for the bulbs and reflectors. Other than that I have been happy with Osram.

Everything I had heard before was from people that haven't actually used the LTI bulbs. Sounds to me from what you guys are saying that they are good for the money. They might not last as long as Christie or Osram but they are cheaper. thanks

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-01-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have had experience with 2k, 3k, 7k, and larger lamps from them.

While I never had any of them explode, I do agree with Jeff Klump in that they do not hold their brightness level over life as the Christies' do. The light seems to rapidly fall off like the ORC and Hanovia ones.

I've also had good luck with Osram, and as Aaron mentions, Superior Quartz.

I think for the dollars vs. performance, Christie and Superior are best overall.

>>> Phil

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-01-2003 07:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With respect to the 2kw bulbs: I wouldn't say that LTI bulbs are unreliable, but they seem to get about 30% fewer hours than Osrams before they start to flicker and need replacement (Osrams ran for about 3500-4000 hours, LTI ran for about 2500). This is in a 6-plex with Strong Highlight-II lamphouses. Usage patterns did not change when the bulb brands did (about a year and a half ago).

Obligatory disclaimer: don't take this as conclusive evidence of anything, as the sample size is too small. Also note that we were taking a risk by running the Osrams that far beyond warranty hours, which may or may not be the best thing to do, even when the picture is bright and flicker free. I've only had one bulb (an LTI, as it happens) explode; the usual failure mode seems to be flicker, dim bulb, or old bulb (we pulled everything at 4000 hours regardless of other factors).

I haven't dealt with Christie or Superior Quartz enough to have an opinion (haven't had any trouble with either). If it were my money and I were buying 2kw bulbs, I'd either go with Osram (which I know is good) or try Christie or SQ, due to the number of positive comments about both. Xenon bulbs are expensive, but they become cheap very fast when you consider the cost per hour of operation, so it makes sense to go with whatever gives the longest service in your lamphouses.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-01-2003 07:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I would consider a 4% explosion rate "not bad". I'm not sure I would even consider a 4% "failure" rate "not bad".

I'd get fired if 4% of our shows went down.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-01-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This afternoon I replaced a 14,000+ hour old ORC bulb (installed in 1999) [Eek!] with a lovely new LTI bulb.

We'll see what happens.

-Aaron

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-01-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron.....was the bulb in a vertical lamphouse?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-01-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, you should be fired for any number of reasons!

>>> Phil

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-01-2003 08:55 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem using a LTI bulb...always got extra hours out of them... [beer] ORC on the other hand...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-01-2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a general concencious that lamps drop off in brightness as they age...well this is definately true at least to some extent of all lamps, however, if a system is properly designed per say so that you have 16fl at the bottom end operating current of a certiain size lamp then you should not have any problems holding that 16 fl through the life of the lamp.

As far as explosions go I've had two myself. An Osram 1600 watter and a Christie 3kw. The Osram had way too many hours on it and the Christie was brand new out of the box and blew up on first ignition. Have yet to have an LTI blow up but sooner or later it'll happen just as it does with all the others.

Rachel,
ORC isn't in any of our language dictionarys.....They are crap!

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: